Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on August 08, 2014, 03:32:27 pm

Title: Climbing in the Garden
Post by: RSL on August 08, 2014, 03:32:27 pm
.
Title: Re: Climbing in the Garden
Post by: mal mcilwraith on August 08, 2014, 05:13:35 pm
I like the way the climber adds scale and interest.


I don't like the bright green trees in the foreground that seem over saturated and detract from the precarious location of the person.



Mal
Title: Re: Climbing in the Garden
Post by: RSL on August 09, 2014, 11:28:52 am
Thanks, Mal. Actually the trees in the foreground are as close to 100% accurate in color and saturation as it's possible for them to be. I suppose I could lower the green saturation a bit, but I can't see any reason to do that. The green is the result of seriously adequate rain for once in our area where drought has been a problem for a long time. We're thankful for that green.
Title: Re: Climbing in the Garden
Post by: mal mcilwraith on August 09, 2014, 03:14:15 pm
Russ

When I look again at your image - and take into consideration your information, I still feel the intense green detracts from the image, as a self standing image.
Maybe because greens and blues generally recede and warm colours advance, yet this image turns that on it's head - maybe that is consistent with an image that shows a man trying to be a mountain goat.

However when I came back to the image I started to appreciate how the family of shapes that the trees form echo the shape of the large rock - which adds to a cohesive image.

Just some further thoughts.


Mal
Title: Re: Climbing in the Garden
Post by: petermfiore on August 09, 2014, 03:35:01 pm
Accurate color is always necessary for any type of subject documentation. However if one's purpose is to create , or to be interpretive , one must summon all their powers to make it so. The purpose for the making of any image must be considered.

Peter
Title: Re: Climbing in the Garden
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 09, 2014, 05:16:19 pm
I think it depends on the purpose (or "meaning") of the photo. If it is about how nice the foliage looks this year, then it's fine as is. But if it is more about the climber on a spectacular route, then I would tone down the green so it isn't a distraction.

That's why I do most of my work in black and white. Fewer variants to worry about.  ;)
Title: Re: Climbing in the Garden
Post by: petermfiore on August 09, 2014, 05:17:41 pm
I think it depends on the purpose (or "meaning") of the photo. If it is about how nice the foliage looks this year, then it's fine as is. But if it is more about the climber on a spectacular route, then I would tone down the green so it isn't a distraction.

That's why I do most of my work in black and white. Fewer variants to worry about.  ;)


This is true!

Peter
Title: Re: Climbing in the Garden
Post by: wolfnowl on August 12, 2014, 08:16:58 pm
Been a lot of years since I walked in that 'Garden'. It was definitely a highlight of the trip!