Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Rajan Parrikar on August 04, 2014, 10:19:55 pm
-
Wandering minstrels of Rajasthan. More in my blog post (http://www.parrikar.com/blog/2014/08/04/bhopa-and-bhopi/).
-
He certainly seems to be lost in his own world. My only critique is that not knowing what kind of instrument that is, I'd like to see more of it. Of course I say that not knowing what's in the background.
Mike.
-
He certainly seems to be lost in his own world. My only critique is that not knowing what kind of instrument that is, I'd like to see more of it. Of course I say that not knowing what's in the background.
Mike.
Mike,
It is an ancient Indian instrument known as the Ravanahatta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravanahatha), a precursor to the violin. See this -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T4FFNe14O8
And a nice BBC documentary -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak_X4bA1CHU
-
Hi Rajan
Your photography is always excellent, in this picture however, I would like to have seen more of the man's face.
William
-
I like it and I'm not too bothered by the dark face of the minstrel. The bright orange turban (is it the appropriate word?) adds a very strong and graphic point to balance the instrument.
-
I wouldn't change a thing. Superb, as always
-
It's beautiful, Rajan, but I agree with William. I'm not suggesting, and I suspect he's not suggesting, that the face be brought out to the point where it's recognizable, but the planes of the face are lost in this post. I suspect that may not be the case with the original or with a good print.
-
It's beautiful, Rajan, but I agree with William. I'm not suggesting, and I suspect he's not suggesting, that the face be brought out to the point where it's recognizable, but the planes of the face are lost in this post. I suspect that may not be the case with the original or with a good print.
Agreed.
Wonderful photo, even as is. I would have, mistakenly, tried to show the whole instrument, thereby losing "the moment". Great work, Rajan.
-
Thank you, all.
The decision to let his face go (mostly, but not entirely) dark was deliberate. I did regret not getting the instrument completely within the frame, but it was a dynamic situation and I had just one fleeting chance to take the shot.
-
Rajan
Great image, I'm OK with the mystery that the lack of detail in the face engender - in actual fact it makes me look at the action of being lost in the music rather than trying to gauge if the face is a threat or an opportunity (isn't that why we look at people's faces?)
Mal