Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Quentin on August 03, 2014, 07:32:03 pm

Title: The Luminous Endowment
Post by: Quentin on August 03, 2014, 07:32:03 pm
I have paid up $500 to join and look forward to receiving Michael's 20 year retrospective book. 

Who else has subscribed?
Title: Re: The Luminous Endowment
Post by: Thingo on August 03, 2014, 08:01:08 pm
I think this fund is a wonderful idea: the concept of "paying it forward" has always made a great deal of sense to me.

So naturally, with the some capacity to do so, I also have contributed.

This could very well be a most exciting project.
Title: Re: The Luminous Endowment
Post by: Kevin Raber on August 03, 2014, 09:03:10 pm
On behalf of Michael Thank You for your support.  We are all very excited about this.  Micahel has worked very hard on this projects and it is great to see it come to life.  We look forward to helping photographers achieve their dreams.  Support has been very strong so far and we only see it getting better.  We are also working on a number of other exciting projects for LuLa. It's been  fun year so far and there is more to come.

Kevin Raber
Title: Re: The Luminous Endowment
Post by: BernardLanguillier on August 03, 2014, 11:37:51 pm
Great project indeed! Congratulations!

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: The Luminous Endowment
Post by: ripgriffith on August 04, 2014, 05:02:07 am
Shameless self-promotion  ;D of a grand idea and an absolutely fabulous book; Bravo, Michael!!
Title: Re: The Luminous Endowment
Post by: Tony Jay on August 05, 2014, 08:08:33 pm
If Michael's book is any marker of the potential success of this venture then the stratosphere appears possible.

Call me an old softie if you like but many of the images that I saw (in the low-res video) brought tears to my eyes while simultaneously taking my breath away. I cannot wait to see these images in their full presentation. I was absolutely amazed at the breadth of the work presented - it is hard to do so many different types of photography well - never mind to this standard.

Perhaps selfishly, I want a copy of this book for inspirational purposes, although I also want to contribute to this foundation.
I have no doubt that this publication will come to find its place in the pantheon of great photographic publications.

Tony Jay
Title: Re: The Luminous Endowment
Post by: michael on August 05, 2014, 09:15:32 pm
Thanks everyone. Your comments and support are most welcome.

This project is a grand vision, and I intend on making it a grand success. Donations so far are exceeding forecast.

The grant applications (http://www.luminous-endowment.org/grants/current/1) received so far are also fascinating.

I also guaranty that the book will exceed expectations. The first copies shipped on Monday

Cheers,

Michael
Title: Re: The Luminous Endowment
Post by: mondeo on August 12, 2014, 02:14:34 pm
May I ask whether world wide shipping is included in the donation gift ?

THanks
Title: Re: The Luminous Endowment
Post by: ripgriffith on August 12, 2014, 02:25:09 pm
May I ask whether world wide shipping is included in the donation gift ?

THanks
Wouldn't that kind of diminish your donation?
Title: Re: The Luminous Endowment
Post by: W.T. Jones on August 12, 2014, 06:27:57 pm
Well folks My book arrived today, I must say it is as every bit enjoyable as I had hoped. I will absorb it over the next few days. Many of my favorite images from the home page are there as well as those images that were featured in various Video Journals. Plus many I have not seen.

Bravo Zulu Michael.
Title: Re: The Luminous Endowment
Post by: David S on August 13, 2014, 03:17:50 pm
My book also arrived today and it is truly wonderful! Absolutely top quality in all aspects!

Dave
Title: Re: The Luminous Endowment
Post by: HiltonP on August 14, 2014, 06:03:19 am
Congratulations on compiling an outstanding collection of photographs, and memories. As someone who has created a couple of books of his own I can appreciate the immense amount of work involved in this project. I particularly enjoyed your videos on its creation, which gave tremendous insight into the project from its conception through to the completion.

A question... why was the one photograph (taken at the Indian shipbreaking beach) repeated twice in the book?
Title: Re: The Luminous Endowment
Post by: michael on August 14, 2014, 07:46:40 am
Because for all of our attention and endless reviews, we goofed and it repeated.

The Japanese have a saying... "Perfection is reserved for the gods". This is just our homage to this concept.

M
Title: Re: The Luminous Endowment
Post by: HiltonP on August 15, 2014, 04:42:21 am
Makes sense Michael!... Just wondered if there was a particular significance.
Regardless of the fact, the photograph is worth repeating!
Title: Re: The Luminous Endowment
Post by: Krug on August 15, 2014, 07:39:16 am

A wonderful concept that we must all try to ensure maintains and builds on its initial momentum.

The book is superb - not only in content but also in its presentation - it already sits on a 'lectern' in the studio so that we can dwell on a new page each day - this is a book which deserves to be slowly absorbed not just shelved after a quick 'flick-through'.

If it makes me a better photographer only the gods will determine but it is already delivering great pleasure in the best possible way - slowly and thoughtfully  .
Title: Re: The Luminous Endowment
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on August 18, 2014, 07:29:43 pm
Is the site login for the endowment the same or different from LuLa?  I tried logging in and it would not accept me.  I'm happy to register differently if thats the issue, just want to make sure.

TIA
Title: Re: The Luminous Endowment
Post by: Christopher Sanderson on August 18, 2014, 10:00:26 pm
Is the site login for the endowment the same or different from LuLa?  I tried logging in and it would not accept me.  I'm happy to register differently if thats the issue, just want to make sure.
Different site, different database. New registration required.