Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Rajan Parrikar on August 03, 2014, 12:37:30 pm

Title: Doodhsagar
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on August 03, 2014, 12:37:30 pm
Goa's best known waterfall.  More images and details here (http://www.parrikar.com/blog/2014/08/02/doodhsagar/).

Title: Re: Doodhsagar
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on August 04, 2014, 05:49:35 am
I really like #2, the falls, the greenery, the train. And also the fog almost like "falling" from the top, mimicking the falls proper.
Title: Re: Doodhsagar
Post by: francois on August 04, 2014, 06:43:42 am
I like both images but the second has more interesting elements, in my opinion. The dense forest with these rich greens colors is perfect to "frame" the waterfall and also, makes the train tiny.
Title: Re: Doodhsagar
Post by: john beardsworth on August 04, 2014, 08:30:11 am
I like both, perhaps the second being my favourite. Perhaps crop it from the bottom right?
Title: Re: Doodhsagar
Post by: thierrylegros396 on August 04, 2014, 11:31:25 am
I like both, perhaps the second being my favourite. Perhaps crop it from the bottom right?

+1

Thierry
Title: Re: Doodhsagar
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 04, 2014, 11:39:18 am
I like both images but the second has more interesting elements, in my opinion. The dense forest with these rich greens colors is perfect to "frame" the waterfall and also, makes the train tiny.
That's my feeling as well.
Quite a spectacular waterfall!
Title: Re: Doodhsagar
Post by: john beardsworth on August 04, 2014, 12:53:30 pm
Quite a spectacular waterfall!

The bridge gives such a good sense of scale that it's as if the railway builders put it there for photographers.
Title: Re: Doodhsagar
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on August 04, 2014, 01:53:51 pm
The bridge gives such a good sense of scale that it's as if the railway builders put it there for photographers.

Thank you, all.

John - your follow-up suddenly reminded me of a very old image of Doodhsagar on my hard drive!  I am attaching it here and shall also add it to my blog post.  It was taken by the legendary photographic team of Souza & Paul who were active from 1890 to 1910 in Goa, and to whom we owe so many priceless photos of that time.  Their photo shop (http://www.souzapaul.com) in Panjim is now run by their descendants.

I took a photo of their photo from the Central Library Archives in Panjim several years ago.  This railway line and bridge was built c. 1890 after an agreement was reached between the Portuguese and the British.



Title: Re: Doodhsagar
Post by: john beardsworth on August 04, 2014, 03:08:23 pm
That's nice, Rajan. I can just imagine the photographers lobbying the Viceroy to pull a few strings and get that bridge in just the right place!

John
Title: Re: Doodhsagar
Post by: maddogmurph on August 04, 2014, 03:53:12 pm
I like the up close shot best.  But it doesn't capture the magnificence of the waterfall like #1 & #2.  I'd love to see a storm here, particularly with a rainbow.  Blue sky, and dark storm cloud contrast would be brilliant, and something tells me rainbows might not be that uncommon there.