Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: rgs on August 02, 2014, 09:14:58 pm

Title: Ilford Paper
Post by: rgs on August 02, 2014, 09:14:58 pm
In case anyone is interested, Bedford Camera in Oklahoma City has a good deal of Ilford paper still in stock. I think it's mostly RC paper but there are some large boxes and some bigger sizes. This post isn't meant as and ad, I just don't know how Ilford stocks are holding out in other areas and thought this might help.
Title: Re: Ilford Paper
Post by: howardm on August 02, 2014, 09:24:16 pm
Ditto Hunt's Camera in Melrose, MA (outside of Boston).  Mostly the 'new' papers
Title: Re: Ilford Paper
Post by: Michael Lloyd on August 02, 2014, 09:46:42 pm
Is something going on with Ilford? I'm still using DDX and their fixer...
Title: Re: Ilford Paper
Post by: Mark D Segal on August 02, 2014, 10:20:47 pm
Is something going on with Ilford? I'm still using DDX and their fixer...

Yes, something "went on". Ilford of Marly, Fribourg, Switzerland is bankrupt and shut down; however that does not affect Ilford (UK) where the film-era materials come from.
Title: Re: Ilford Paper
Post by: Michael Lloyd on August 02, 2014, 10:33:58 pm
That sinks...

Ilford is probably one of the biggest supporters of film users. Especially LF. I hope they can hold on
Title: Re: Ilford Paper
Post by: Mark D Segal on August 02, 2014, 10:51:18 pm
I believe the reasons for the cash crunch in Switzerland were unique to the capital structure and some new product delays in that operation alone, and would not affect the UK company.
Title: Re: Ilford Paper
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on August 03, 2014, 09:01:32 am
There was a whole thread about this several months ago when the inkjet Ilford first declared bankruptcy.  IIRC the UK and Swiss Ilfords were two entirely different corporate entities.
Title: Re: Ilford Paper
Post by: Some Guy on August 03, 2014, 10:28:39 am
Evidently they are making a comeback.

http://www.pdnonline.com/gear/Theyre-Back-Ilford-11272.shtml (http://www.pdnonline.com/gear/Theyre-Back-Ilford-11272.shtml)

SG
Title: Re: Ilford Paper
Post by: Mark D Segal on August 03, 2014, 10:41:53 am
Time will tell what kind of comeback it is and whether the recipes for the papers they produce will be the same or not. Ilford also had a good reputation for the stability and uniformity of the product, which also will take time to prove itself afresh.
Title: Re: Ilford Paper
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on August 03, 2014, 07:10:57 pm
Time will tell what kind of comeback it is and whether the recipes for the papers they produce will be the same or not. Ilford also had a good reputation for the stability and uniformity of the product, which also will take time to prove itself afresh.
Quite right.  ONe of the comments notes that all of the equipment in the old Ilford factory has already been sold and that the purchasers bought the brand name and perhaps manufacturing formulas.  Will they produce the same product that we used; don't know we will have to wait and see.  Those people who have already switched to the Canson paper may not want to switch back.
Title: Re: Ilford Paper
Post by: DeanChriss on August 04, 2014, 07:03:15 am
The Ilford GFS paper itself was always good, but after they added "Prestige" to the name and cheapened the packaging the first 2 to 3 sheets in every box I got had scuff marks. I switched to Canson Baryta Photographique, which is packaged well and there have been no issues with scuff marks, but I've lost as many or more sheets due defects in the paper surface. I've only used a couple boxes letter sized Canson Baryta Photographique as I still have a stock of Ilford in other sizes and rolls, so I'm hoping my experience so far is an anomaly, though I doubt it.  It seems one can't have everything. OTOH I'm happy another paper with an essentially identical surface and overall performance exists.
Title: Re: Ilford Paper
Post by: Mark D Segal on August 04, 2014, 08:44:25 am
I've used countless boxes of IGFS sheet paper including the new packaging and have had no issues whatsoever with scruff marks on the first few sheets. Perhaps you had a number of boxes that came from one packaging batch that had issues.
Title: Re: Ilford Paper
Post by: Rick Popham on October 13, 2014, 04:29:50 pm
I got an email from Atlex recommending "Simply Elegant Gold Fiber 310" as a direct replacement for the Ilford Gold Fiber Silk.  Does anyone know the pedigree of this paper (never heard of "Simply Elegant", but it kind of reminds me of a store brand like "Central Market", or "Ann Page"), has anyone tried it?
Title: Re: Ilford Paper
Post by: Mark D Segal on October 13, 2014, 04:42:17 pm
No point worrying about substitutes any longer - if what I heard is correct. The new owners should be producing and restocking distributors with exactly the same Ilford Gold Fibre Silk as we speak.
Title: Re: Ilford Paper
Post by: Rick Popham on October 13, 2014, 07:11:31 pm
Thanks, Mark.  That's good to hear.  I can hold out for a while longer, but I was wondering about this new stuff.
Title: Re: Ilford Paper
Post by: Mark D Segal on October 13, 2014, 07:13:40 pm
Thanks, Mark.  That's good to hear.  I can hold out for a while longer, but I was wondering about this new stuff.

No harm buying a bit and trying it out with the same profile you use for IGFS. That should give you an idea of how close - or not - it is.