Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: mal mcilwraith on August 02, 2014, 08:27:02 pm

Title: a small bird up close and personal
Post by: mal mcilwraith on August 02, 2014, 08:27:02 pm
(http://www.getdpi.com/forum/members/malmac/albums/sample-our-work/7104-img-6878.jpg)

Canon 5D II with the 400mm f2.8 lens.
Bald Rock National Park, NSW.


Mal
Toowoomba
Title: Re: a small bird up close and personal
Post by: luxborealis on August 02, 2014, 08:59:08 pm
Nice and sharp, right down to its whiskers, but decidedly unMal. Looks like a species of wren - perhaps a female Superb Fairy-wren (http://birdlife.org.au/bird-profile/superb-fairy-wren). If it is, too bad you didn't catch the male - spectacular blue!
Title: Re: a small bird up close and personal
Post by: wmchauncey on August 02, 2014, 09:01:45 pm
Mal, I'm really stretching to come up with a compliant with this image as it's virtually perfect.
I could complain about the OOF tail and an excess of space on the right side...other than that, it's great.    ;)

You used a 400mm lens, is it front focusing just a little?
Title: Re: a small bird up close and personal
Post by: ErikKaffehr on August 02, 2014, 10:01:56 pm
Nice!

Erik
Title: Re: a small bird up close and personal
Post by: mal mcilwraith on August 02, 2014, 11:38:12 pm
Terry

Yes it does seem a bit out of character. My wife and I love camping and when possible I throw in the 400mm which is a seriously heavy lens and hope that a bird will oblige.

The lens may be front focussing a tad, but I have not checked it closely to confirm or deny.

I like the wide aspect as it gives our feathered friend lots of space to hop off into. But of course there are arguments to the contrary which are quite valid.


Mal