Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stamper on July 30, 2014, 11:28:07 am

Title: Photographing the Photographer.
Post by: stamper on July 30, 2014, 11:28:07 am
Caught in the act.
Title: Re: Photographing the Photographer.
Post by: Bruce Cox on July 30, 2014, 01:24:41 pm
The hand of the man is less distinct than I imagen I would prefer.
Title: Re: Photographing the Photographer.
Post by: stamper on July 31, 2014, 03:25:20 am
Videographer?

How do you know he wasn't taking stills?
Title: Re: Photographing the Photographer.
Post by: stamper on August 01, 2014, 03:48:53 am
pedantry
ˈpɛd(ə)ntri/
noun
noun: pedantry; plural noun: pedantries

    excessive concern with minor details and rules.
    "to object to this is not mere pedantry"
    synonyms:   dogmatism, purism, literalism, formalism;

Recognize yourself Isaac? :(

Isaac I have just remembered that you don't post any images for critique so you will possibly struggle to understand that titles aren't meant to be taken literally. Some suggest a juxtaposition, others mickey taking and others an attempt at humour. :)
Title: Re: Photographing the Photographer.
Post by: plugsnpixels on August 02, 2014, 12:19:38 am
I'm not worried about the semantics of "photographer" vs. "videographer". I would just recommend cropping out the background guy at left and giving more headroom for lobotomy guy in the center if possible.
Title: Re: Photographing the Photographer.
Post by: stamper on August 02, 2014, 04:15:20 am
There isn't a crop to the top of the image. That was the way it was taken. IMO the guy on the left adds some depth to the image. Some like cropped heads but others don't. If I had included more of the head then there would have been less of the guy doing the shooting. Thanks for the replies, except for Isaac. :)
Title: Re: Photographing the Photographer.
Post by: stamper on August 02, 2014, 04:16:56 am
And some are meant to be taken literally -- but if you don't know or don't care what was happening in your photo that's fine, it was just curiosity.

Isaac post an image of your own with a suitable title and see what reaction you get. ;) :(
Title: Re: Photographing the Photographer.
Post by: plugsnpixels on August 02, 2014, 11:55:44 am
I agree about the guy on the left adding depth but it's distracting depth. IMO all of the true subjects are at right. As for lobotomy guy, it's still a painful crop for me – slightly higher up the forehead would be fine, but right at the eyes, ouch. I guess the solution would have been to shoot a second earlier or to step back a foot or two, neither of which are possible now.

I know this is an "action" or grab shot and it's easy to nitpick it afterwards in the comfort of our desk chairs, but it's a good shot regardless of what you were able to include/not include at the time.