Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: wmchauncey on July 29, 2014, 09:26:20 pm

Title: Skin tones question
Post by: wmchauncey on July 29, 2014, 09:26:20 pm
I'm having difficulty finding a tutorial regarding "skin tone" adjustments for African-Americans, aside from the Chris Orwig's numbers methods.
Any links from you fine people...     ???
Title: Re: Skin tones question
Post by: digitaldog on July 29, 2014, 09:29:36 pm
Here's a video on correcting skin tones without having to resort to CMYK:

Low Rez (YouTube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWaFDKrNrwc

High Rez
http://digitaldog.net/files/SkinToneVideo.mov
Title: Re: Skin tones question
Post by: wmchauncey on July 30, 2014, 10:43:17 am
Shoulda, woulda, coulda...I don't understand why it is but, I have your page marked as a favorite and I always overlook it.
Color me red for very embarrassed...thanks Andrew!
Title: Re: Skin tones question
Post by: Ellis Vener on August 08, 2014, 09:44:09 am
Great tutorial. Thanks Andrew. The lin kfor orderign the Roman16 reference images Andrew referred to is http://www.roman16.com/en/

As he says: not cheap!
Title: Re: Skin tones question
Post by: Eyeball on August 08, 2014, 10:37:44 am
A little tip for those of you that have Xrite calibration/profiling products and use i1profiler:

i1profiler uses a low-rez set of those roman16 images as part of its profile display/verification and you can access those images directly within the i1profiler program folder.  On Windows, for example, they can be found in Program Files(x86)/X-Rite/i1Profiler/preview-images.

As I said, they are low-rez and don't include the technical details/numeric info that the full reference docs would include but they are still great references for experimenting and comparison-use for skin tones.
Title: Re: Skin tones question
Post by: digitaldog on August 08, 2014, 11:51:24 am
Quote
On Windows, for example, they can be found in Program Files(x86)/X-Rite/i1Profiler/preview-images.
On Mac, they are found: HFS Path: Macintosh HD:Applications:i1Profiler:i1Profiler.app:Contents:Resources:preview-images
But they are tiny, 8-bit per color and in a pretty large color space (eciRGB). Still somewhat useful.