Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: chuckn on July 27, 2014, 05:32:21 pm

Title: Wilderness Waterfalls
Post by: chuckn on July 27, 2014, 05:32:21 pm
Found these waterfalls on a recent backpacking trip. Comments??

Chuck.
Title: Re: Wilderness Waterfalls
Post by: luxborealis on July 27, 2014, 07:13:47 pm
Interesting jumble of (hyper-processed) colour. Doesn't do much for me as waterfalls, since the waterfalls are not very distinct.
Title: Re: Wilderness Waterfalls
Post by: chuckn on July 27, 2014, 11:53:16 pm
Thanks for the comment Terry. What drew me to make this photograph were the many different shaped rocks and the contrast of the plants and water. I mostly wanted to experiment with contrasting color, light and darkness. I agree it's a little over processed.

Chuck.
Title: Re: Wilderness Waterfalls
Post by: stamper on July 28, 2014, 03:50:42 am
Maybe if you had titled it falling water then it might have been more appropriate? I agree with Chuckn except it isn't over processed.
Title: Re: Wilderness Waterfalls
Post by: David Anderson on July 28, 2014, 04:33:32 am
Tough one..

I don't mind the processing and I can see lots of interesting angles and shapes in the rocks, but the shot is a bit scattered IMHO.
Maybe a closer shot or a wider shot ?
Title: Re: Wilderness Waterfalls
Post by: brandtb on July 28, 2014, 06:16:06 am
Chuck - can't say this is a great shot - but has some very nice things in it... but what draws me to it are perhaps the same things you find interesting as in
Quote
What drew me to make this photograph were the many different shaped rocks and the contrast of the plants and water. I mostly wanted to experiment with contrasting color, light and darkness
.  I like the chiaroscuro...the contrast btw the lights/darks...and the bright planes of the rock faces.  I would have definitely shot this too.  I think you might consider cropping off the left 2/5ths for a start and see what that looks like. And then trying different crops..."getting tighter".  You have two areas of focus... a left and a right...I don't think this helps the images so much.  The processing would require a great deal of care in bringing up lights/bringing down darks, selective areas of sharpness on different rock faces, and local color adjustments (bringing down luminance of the greens in upper plants e.g.) - the sort  of trial/error work that might take some time and iterations. /B
Title: Re: Wilderness Waterfalls
Post by: shawnino on July 28, 2014, 10:22:22 am
Can you please post the original?
Thanks.
Title: Re: Wilderness Waterfalls
Post by: chuckn on July 28, 2014, 03:01:18 pm
Attached are three more images (different angles) of the same set of falls. It was an amazing place, but difficult to photograph.

Chuck.
Title: Re: Wilderness Waterfalls
Post by: chuckn on July 28, 2014, 03:03:28 pm
I guess I need to attach these again.
Title: Re: Wilderness Waterfalls
Post by: David Anderson on July 28, 2014, 07:46:12 pm
I like these vertical versions.
 #3 is the standout.
Title: Re: Wilderness Waterfalls
Post by: luxborealis on July 29, 2014, 08:03:36 am
I like these vertical versions.
 #3 is the standout.

+1
Title: Re: Wilderness Waterfalls
Post by: Bruce Cox on July 29, 2014, 05:13:52 pm
I'll go for #3 too.  In most of the others my eye goes to the upper right corner and gets stuck there.
Title: Re: Wilderness Waterfalls
Post by: BernardLanguillier on July 30, 2014, 04:43:05 am
#3 is the closest for me also, but:
- I think you should have used a PL filter, maybe not at 100% but maybe around 60% to incease saturation,
- the image still feels a bit too symmetric somehow, I would have shot more from the left if possible at all.

Cheers,
Bernard