Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: rgs on July 27, 2014, 03:17:38 pm
-
With your indulgence, I'm going to start an unusual thread. The photograph below is a concept piece and is a possible submission to a call for art works to support a Bible study curriculum in a church. The church will display these works in their halls during the course of the study. This IS NOT and attempt to provoke a religious thread or to create a controversy. I simply need your comments as to what you take from the image. I am posting here because I assume this forum to be a large group of diverse and visually sophisticated folk who can tell me if I'm on the right track.
If you are willing to comment, please tell me, without any other input from me, what you take from the photograph. What concept do you think is being referenced and do you think the photograph does so successfully?
And one more mundane observation from you: Does the fire hydrant support or detract from the concept?
Thanks for you input. This has been a difficult assignment but I may have found the image I need. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
-
Hi Rich
Dump the fire hydrant, it is visually jarring.
Rich
-
A possible interpretation is the dominance of Mammon (the large, corporate-looking buildings in the background) over God (the church in the middle ground) being sadly lamented by some holy figure (the statue in the foreground).
If this is the intention, I think it works, but yes, the fire hydrant is a distraction.
Trevor
-
I think the hydrant serves a metaphorical purpose of pouring cold water on the separation of church and state (represented by that officially-looking building) ;)
-
I like the photo - including hydrant.
My eye wondered from the hydrant to the statue to the church and then the building behind.
What does the photo mean to me ?
Well, I'm not normally down at church on Sunday bothering god, but this picture has a certain peace about it.
It's the church fitting in to the surrounds perhaps ?
-
Hi Richard,
It's a quite competent architectural shot and the fireplug would be the center of interest for any dog who happened to glance at the picture.
-
I see some level of hope in a city dominated by "business" buildings.
Upon closer examination, I see the statue "crying" which, to me, is a sign of despair.
The fire hydrant adds nothing and is a visual distraction.
-
I find the image to be very full--lots of different things to look at. The church, the steps/statues, the skyscrapers, the hydrant.
If that's what you're going for ("busy world"), you've nailed it.
Technically (focus, colours...) it's very good IMO.
-
Your photo reminds me of the Woolworth Building in NYC owned and built by Woolworth of the five and dime fame. It's nickname was Cathedral of Commerce.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolworth_Building
-
OP, it is nothing to me. Just snapshot. But I may be missing something.
-
Hi Richard
This type of thing is always influenced by one's own views, so, based on my views, I will tell you what I see:
Because the corporate building in the background has been carefully included in the picture I am guessing along the same lines as Trevor Murgatroyd - the new place of worship (greed, money etc.) lurking menacingly in the background over the old place of worship.
What is more interesting to me is the despairing (religious) statue in the foreground, confronted not only by the two buildings in the background and the idea of the new threat, but by the dark wall preventing entry into the church. The structure of the wall is unfortunate too, the gaps in the brickwork represent the "God of the gaps" idea whereby there is only placeGod can only fill the gaps that science is yet to answer.
The fire hydrant is a crucifix of sorts that echoes the crucifix on the steeple - perhaps it should have been given more prominence in the composition? And to follow Russ's thought, a further attack on religion by having a dog pee on it!
William
-
If the hydrant had been placed in the left hand corner it might have been "acceptable". However the awkward placing is a distraction. As to the church and the financial building then some might think they are joined at the hip? Some religious groupings are very wealthy and are possibly a front to gather even more wealth? As for the image I find it to be an attractive city shot.
-
I am visually confused by the OP. Too many things going on in my view and I cannot figure out what the photo is about, even though I fully understand all the comments. I found that if I lowered the photo window, cutting off the hydrant and some of the stairs, the photo told a much stronger story (in three part harmony ;) ) with the church building, the bkg skyscraper and the weeping figure and my eye is constrained to that triangle. That triangle is an important part of the composition and creates an edginess that I quite like.
-
As an image, it doesn't "mean" anything to me - it's just a cityscape with church, statue, and modern building - and don't think it's a very strong image as shot. I think Dave's previous comments were spot on...get rid of hydrant and some of stairs for a start. I don't the flat gray light is so helpful here. Also, one of things I would have done is to try and shoot from a slightly lower vantage point - so the cross at top of steeple is a little higher than the flat top of the modern building on the left. /B
-
OP, it is nothing to me. Just snapshot...
Hallelujah! Amen, brother!*
* (to stay with the religious theme)
P.S. Then again, we are a tough crowd :)
-
P.S. Then again, we are a tough crowd :)
Not really. Just look at the replies to your "Americana". :-)
Later,
Johnny
-
As an image, it doesn't "mean" anything to me - it's just a cityscape with church, statue, and modern building - and don't think it's a very strong image as shot. I think Dave's previous comments were spot on...get rid of hydrant and some of stairs for a start. I don't the flat gray light is so helpful here. Also, one of things I would have done is to try and shoot from a slightly lower vantage point - so the cross at top of steeple is a little higher than the flat top of the modern building on the left. /B
Thanks. I have come to the same conclusion. While, in the context of the Bible study, it would make some sense, it's not very expressive or compelling. Thanks to everyone here for helping me to clear my thoughts on this.
Just some explanation for anyone interested. The church is a small Romanesque style church in downtown Oklahoma City. The statue is of Jesus weeping over the site of the Oklahoma City bombing memorial which is across the street to the camera's left. The church was heavily damaged in the bombing. None of this fits the assignment. The weeping statue is not weeping over the church as the photograph seems to imply, it was placed by the church in response to the bombing. The tall building is the 850 foot Devon Tower, one of the taller buildings west of the Mississippi. When I made the photograph, I did not have the Bible study in mind and tried to frame so the little church's cross did not reach higher than the tower. I may go back and re-shoot from a lower, closer position so the cross is the highest point. And exclude the statue. Or I may take a totally different approach.
In any case I am grateful for all of your input and the thoughtful (and humorous) responses.
-
P.S. Then again, we are a tough crowd :)
Tough crowd is good, Slobodan. Having been trained as an orchestral musician, I am convinced that frank analysis is the most instructive kind. :)
-
Not really. Just look at the replies to your "Americana". :-)
Yeah, especially that guy who could not find "much positive" in my images ;)
-
Well it's been sometime since I started this thread and I'm back to show the final result. The image attached is the final version of the one that started the thread. I went back and re-shoot the scene after posting the first one here. This version of the image has been, a bit to my surprise, well received locally so I'm posting here to get reactions from some who don't have any history with the buildings in it.
Some background. The office building is the Devon Building in downtown Oklahoma City. It is the tallest one in town and, at 800+ feet, one of the tallest in the western US. The church is a small Romanesque style Catholic church that is the first one built in OKC over 100 years ago. It is across the street from the Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial and was severely damaged in the bombing. It is a small church that is dwarfed by the large office buildings surrounding it. Still, when you see it, you are impressed by the little church that stretches so effectively toward heaven in the manner of the medieval European churches.
The image was made to be seen in conjunction with a church bible study curriculum. I've titled the image "Perspective" for obvious photographic reasons but also for the philosophical meaning it implies. Just wondering if it works as well away from home. Your comments are gratefully received. Thanks so much for returning to this thread after so long a time away.
-
The new one feels much more coherent than the original. You have successfully eliminated all irrelevant items, and it now stands as a much stronger image, IMHO.
-
Well it's been sometime since I started this thread and I'm back to show the final result. The image attached is the final version of the one that started the thread. I went back and re-shoot the scene after posting the first one here. This version of the image has been, a bit to my surprise, well received locally so I'm posting here to get reactions from some who don't have any history with the buildings in it.
I'm glad that you went back to re-shoot. For a second there, I was worried that you might have cropped the original photo, which is not permitted here. :) (Just having some fun.)
-
OP, nothing.
Snapshot.
-
...And exclude the statue...
I wonder why? It seems to perfectly fit your narrative, whether one sees a face palm or weeping in it. It also serves the purpose visually, creating a sense of depth and a triangular composition.
-
I wonder why? It seems to perfectly fit your narrative, whether one sees a face palm or weeping in it. It also serves the purpose visually, creating a sense of depth and a triangular composition.
Yeah I thought about that statue, Slobodan. I like it very much and have photographed it by itself a few times. It's very moving to see it in person. It actually faces the OKC bombing memorial and is the church's comment on the bombing so it doesn't really mean what it appeared to in the original image. At least in my mind, and for the purpose of this assignment, the church was broadly representing Christian life (not the church, per se) and the cross extending higher than the office building was to express which should be the higher priority (thus the use of "perspective"). So the statue weeping over the church, although certainly a poignant and valid commentary, was not the point this time.
I cloned out the head of the statue after re-framing to remove the rest of it.