Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 25, 2014, 04:48:56 pm

Title: Untitled
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 25, 2014, 04:48:56 pm
 (https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2899/14557515428_be969c2c2e_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/obp5aj)
Grand Teton Cloud (https://flic.kr/p/obp5aj) by Slobodan Blagojevic (https://www.flickr.com/people//), on Flickr
Title: Re: Untitled
Post by: petermfiore on July 25, 2014, 04:56:55 pm
Great on so many fronts.

Peter
Title: Re: Untitled
Post by: matoqui on July 25, 2014, 05:36:30 pm
Lovely!
Title: Re: Untitled
Post by: churly on July 25, 2014, 05:57:41 pm
Yes this is quite fine.  I grew up in NW Wyoming but have never shot the Tetons except as tourist snaps.
Chuck
Title: Re: Untitled
Post by: luxborealis on July 25, 2014, 07:34:05 pm
Great on so many fronts.

Peter

Pun intended?!

I agree. A wonderful moment seen well, captured well and processed well.
Thanks for sharing Slobodan.
Title: Re: Untitled
Post by: petermfiore on July 25, 2014, 07:55:55 pm
Pun intended?!
Of course!
Peter
Title: Re: Untitled
Post by: William Walker on July 26, 2014, 03:13:57 am
Pun intended?!

I agree. A wonderful moment seen well, captured well and processed well.
Thanks for sharing Slobodan.

I agree!
Title: Re: Untitled
Post by: mjrichardson on July 26, 2014, 04:22:14 am
Nice view Slobodan, well balanced and nice sky, it's probably the jpeg compression but thats a pretty harsh line along the horizon, it would be much more pleasing to the eye with a smoother transition from horizon to sky. It looks a little like too much clarity/sharpening as it has boosted the dark edge of the mountains and lightened where it meets the sky. Only a small thing and not worth worrying about on a more boring photograph but as this is nice it might be worth correcting?

Mat
Title: Re: Untitled
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 26, 2014, 08:24:37 am
Wonderful, Slobodan, and (as I'd expect) beautifully processed. One quibble: could you perhaps remove the fragment of white cloud in the dark band in the middle of the left side? It distracts.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Untitled
Post by: RSL on July 26, 2014, 11:09:44 am
Very nice, Slobodan. Happily, I can load stuff from Flickr.
Title: Re: Untitled
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 26, 2014, 10:33:31 pm
... it's probably the jpeg compression but thats a pretty harsh line along the horizon...

You are right, Mat, must is a combination of jpeg compression, sharpening for the web and Flickr's own display algorithm, as there is no such thing on my master LR file:
Title: Re: Untitled
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 26, 2014, 10:42:01 pm
... One quibble: could you perhaps remove the fragment of white cloud in the dark band in the middle of the left side? It distracts.

Jeremy, I try to leave some traces of natural imperfections in my images as a sign of reality. Besides, it is probably more distracting in the displayed size, while, when printed big, it actually contributes to the "naturalness" of the scene, as the eye then goes into details, examines them, and perhaps admires just how unexpected and varied nature can be.
Title: Re: Untitled
Post by: shawnino on July 27, 2014, 01:39:45 pm
Really moving.
Great composition, great execution.
Title: Re: Untitled
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on July 27, 2014, 04:42:46 pm
Would it be churlish if I was to refer you back to point C  ;D

Touché

Dave
Title: Re: Untitled
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 27, 2014, 05:13:39 pm
Would it be churlish...z

Not churlish at all, just observant. You rightly noticed that I was just messing with our good friend Kirby Krieger. I am sure it did not escape your attention that the image itself is, in fact, titled :)
Title: Re: Untitled
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on July 27, 2014, 06:53:55 pm
Not churlish at all, just observant. You rightly noticed that I was just messing with our good friend Kirby Krieger. I am sure it did not escape your attention that the image itself is, in fact, titled :)

Ah, I missed that, so quick firing off my rejoinder, my mistake.

Great shot BTW, I particularly like how the water in the foreground looks so silky smooth and shiney, yet still retains lots of detail. Is this effect due to clarity and then NR to smooth things out, or perhaps something else?

Dave
Title: Re: Untitled
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 27, 2014, 08:19:19 pm
... Great shot BTW, I particularly like how the water in the foreground looks so silky smooth and shiney, yet still retains lots of detail. Is this effect due to clarity and then NR to smooth things out, or perhaps something else?

Yes, that was a pretty strong Clarity applied, but no noise reduction.