Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: rgs on July 22, 2014, 05:26:52 pm

Title: Err99 on LR import - what's happening here
Post by: rgs on July 22, 2014, 05:26:52 pm
Here is an interesting problem that I hope someone recognizes. While traveling I frequently upload my camera into my laptop as a backup. Since the laptop has no card reader capable of CF cards, I just use the USB cable direct from the camera. I also do not format the cards until I return home so I have two copies until I get everything into my desktop permanently.

Last week I was uploading my 50D with my newest, fastest card - a Lexar Professional 800x 16gb. The third day's upload failed. The camera consistently said ERR99. I rebooted both the laptop and the camera but the error persisted. I was able to browse the card (while still in the camera) and find the images there and I was able to copy them to the computer and then import from there into LR. But trying to import directly into LR consistently produced the error.

I took the card out and put another one in. It functioned flawlessly the rest of the week. On returning home, I took the card that had been a problem and put it in the card reader on my desktop. No problem. All images safe and functions properly.

Any ideas as to why this card will not upload correctly via the USB cable but works fine with a card reader? Thanks.
Title: Re: Err99 on LR import - what's happening here
Post by: John S C on July 23, 2014, 03:31:51 am


Err99 is Canon's most unhelpfully error message "There is an error . The error is unknown". I used to get this sometimes when shooting tethered into Lightroom.. Could connect to the computer and transfer files directly to the laptop, but not directly into Lightroom. In my case I traced it  to a communication problem with the USB cable. Changed the cable and all was well.
Title: Re: Err99 on LR import - what's happening here
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on July 23, 2014, 06:11:40 am
Any ideas as to why this card will not upload correctly via the USB cable but works fine with a card reader?

Hi Richard,

The first thing that comes to mind is to try using a short high(er) quality USB cable. Also try a different USB port if you can. Of course there could be a camera issue, but that would need further analysis (e.g. try tethering).

Cheers,
Bart