Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: rogerxnz on July 21, 2014, 06:58:52 pm
-
Best practice when using wide-angle lenses with movements is to take a LCC shot using a LCC filter or plate in front of the lens and the same set-up and aperture as used for your "real" shots and then apply the LCC shot in Capture One (or similar?) to even out the light fall-off.
The above description will probably only make sense to users of view and technical cameras with digital backs!
The purpose of this post is to find what people are using as the LCC filter or plate and whether any of them allow you to take the LCC shot at the same exposure settings used for the real shots?
I use a piece of translucent plastic I cut from an article in a home-ware store but I have to increase the exposure time by two settings (= x8).
Are there any improvements on this? Any one found a dedicated filter?
Roger
-
Are there any improvements on this? Any one found a dedicated filter?
Hi Roger,
It's not all that critical. However, because I use this a lot for various purposes, I use a homemade version made of 2 sheets of opaline glass, taped together with tape that also creates an air gap (to avoid Newton rings) and covers the sharp edges. This is more heavy than a perspex version, but also is harder to scratch, and relatively translucent (opal glass diffuses by a very thin layer of air bubbles, not by absorbing particles in a thicker layer). The color absorption of 2 glass layers is irrelevant for the purpose.
Cheers,
Bart
-
I use the Phase One LCC plate, you can purchase this from most Phase One dealers, it's large and a bit tedious to carry however.
You can also use acyclic, Optix is a good brand, as they make many grades of opacity. You are looking for a grade that has around 35%to 50% light allowance, which will be a milky white.
Capture Integration used to sell a great LCC plate, that was small enough to fit inside the Lee Hood filter holder. I have it also and whenever I am using the Hood, I just drop it it. I looked on their website and did not see it in the "store" but you might call them and ask. www.captureintegration.com Based in Atlanta GA.
On average, your LCC shot, which is ideally centered on the histogram, will be about 2 stops slower than the shutter speed you are using for the photography. However there are times depending on the amount of sunlight hitting the card that this can vary up or down. I always work for a shutter speed that is going to give me the best centered histogram.
Paul
-
I've got the Phase One LCC plate. Mine came with a large size and a smaller size. I've no use for the large size as I use m4/3 with a shift adapter. It is about a two stop increase for correct exposure. Works well.
Larry