Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: PeterAit on July 20, 2014, 01:06:33 pm

Title: OK gang - why "the orignal box?"
Post by: PeterAit on July 20, 2014, 01:06:33 pm
I occasionally look at the For Sale forum, and I see that a lot of items are listed "with original box" as if that is a sales incentive. Can someone please explain why this is? When I buy a camera or lens and I have determined that it works OK and I want to keep it, the box and all other packing crap go in the trash. If I buy used gear, what would I want the box for? I own 3 camera bodies and perhaps 10 lenses, why on earth would I want all those boxes cluttering up my workroom? Please explain!
Title: Re: OK gang - why "the orignal box?"
Post by: Colorado David on July 20, 2014, 01:49:39 pm
It used to be with Nikon the warranty was attached to the box.  No box, no warranty.  There is also some assurance that what you are buying is not a grey market item.
Title: Re: OK gang - why "the orignal box?"
Post by: Robert Roaldi on July 20, 2014, 03:04:17 pm
I keep them because if/when I sell the stuff, since those boxes are made to measure, it makes things easier to pack. It was a habit I got into at a time in my life when I moved a lot. Hard to beat those receiver and speaker boxes for moving the stereo. Some of the boxes ended up being more valuable than the stuff they contained.

If you own old or vintage stuff, having the box may increase their re-sale value. Not always of course, but sometimes. But this pre-supposes that you have room in the house to store the boxes.
Title: Re: OK gang - why "the orignal box?"
Post by: digitaldog on July 20, 2014, 03:15:11 pm
I keep the boxes, it's kind of useful for shipping whether you are selling or sending the equipment back for repair.
Title: Re: OK gang - why "the orignal box?"
Post by: slackercruster on July 20, 2014, 04:44:32 pm
I occasionally look at the For Sale forum, and I see that a lot of items are listed "with original box" as if that is a sales incentive. Can someone please explain why this is? When I buy a camera or lens and I have determined that it works OK and I want to keep it, the box and all other packing crap go in the trash. If I buy used gear, what would I want the box for? I own 3 camera bodies and perhaps 10 lenses, why on earth would I want all those boxes cluttering up my workroom? Please explain!

Camera fondlers / collectors like em.
Title: Re: OK gang - why "the orignal box?"
Post by: Jim Pascoe on July 21, 2014, 05:16:01 am
Perhaps because when you buy that ten year old high mileage camera, the very low mileage, pristine box gives you that feeling you might have got if you had bought it new!

Jim
Title: Re: OK gang - why "the orignal box?"
Post by: Peter McLennan on July 23, 2014, 03:37:22 am
Original packing helps prove hardware is not stolen.
Title: Re: OK gang - why "the orignal box?"
Post by: PhotoEcosse on July 23, 2014, 06:29:51 am
Original packing helps prove hardware is not stolen.

That's probably the most important reason.
Title: Re: OK gang - why "the orignal box?"
Post by: PeterAit on July 23, 2014, 10:58:54 am
Original packing helps prove hardware is not stolen.

So, when Tony Soprano's boys steal a pallet of Nikons at the port, they don't take the boxes? In any case, the seller will have almost certainly kept the original bill of sale, proof enough if the buyer is interested.
Title: Re: OK gang - why "the orignal box?"
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 23, 2014, 11:14:37 am
You know it is a slow news day when... people are discussing boxes. O tempora, o mores!
Title: Re: OK gang - why "the orignal box?"
Post by: PeterAit on July 23, 2014, 11:36:39 am
You know it is a slow news day when... people are discussing boxes. O tempora, o mores!

LOL, ain't it the truth!
Title: Re: OK gang - why "the orignal box?"
Post by: Vladimirovich on July 23, 2014, 11:56:04 am
You know it is a slow news day when... people are discussing boxes. O tempora, o mores!
not new boxes on top of that
Title: Re: OK gang - why "the orignal box?"
Post by: kaelaria on July 25, 2014, 07:23:27 am
I only keep them because people ask for them when I sell...I never care when I buy.
Title: Re: OK gang - why "the orignal box?"
Post by: Alan Klein on August 02, 2014, 11:46:57 am
Boxes give an impression that the quality is higher so more valuable.