Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: JoeKitchen on July 17, 2014, 05:08:15 pm

Title: Landscape Photography Resources?
Post by: JoeKitchen on July 17, 2014, 05:08:15 pm
I just got a golf resort project, but I was only hire to shoot the hotel at first.  I offered to do pics of the courses as well, if they can get me on them, and they bit.  (I did this mainly because I would like to get more into resort work and often resorts have landscape photography needs, plus golf courses look awesome and are hard to get access to without getting permission.) 

I tried looking up landscape tips online, but it is so hard to filter through everything (since so many people are "world renown" landscape photographers and feel the need to blog about it.)  Most of what I found was very basic and intuitive, so I though I ask hear, since many of you are very good landscape photographers. 

Anyone have a resource with advice that is a little more advanced? 

Joe Kitchen
Title: Re: Landscape Photography Resources?
Post by: pixjohn on July 17, 2014, 06:29:15 pm
Google online, I once saw a photographer talking about how he shoots golf courses. I have shot a few courses over the years, I found the best time to shoot, is early morning or late afternoon. I did a test the first time I had a golf course project as part of shooting the club house. I just went to a nice course with my assistant and clubs and brought along a camera and tripod. He played golf I tested angles with my camera.

P.S. its best to scout the course throughout the day, and try and take a few shots.
Title: Re: Landscape Photography Resources?
Post by: NancyP on July 17, 2014, 07:44:50 pm
Does the resort course have a map? Use it while you walk the course and annotate it with possible shots locations, note height of trees, compass direction of fairways, etc. I have recently made a habit of whipping out my iphone and using the compass app that comes with the iphone, then recording results in a shot-planning note. This info can be used in conjunction with Photographer's Ephemeris and Sky Safari to get an idea about when I need to show up for a shot and approximately where the desired sun, moon, stars, shadows will be relative to the landmark of interest.
Title: Re: Landscape Photography Resources?
Post by: pixjohn on July 18, 2014, 03:16:29 pm
There is an iPhone app you can use to take a picture, and it will show you the sun direction and time a day and shadows used primarily for cinematographers.