Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Rajan Parrikar on July 17, 2014, 04:21:32 pm

Title: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on July 17, 2014, 04:21:32 pm
On the drive through the Thar Desert of Rajasthan in west India.  More in this blog entry (http://www.parrikar.com/blog/2014/07/17/jodhpur-to-jaisalmer/).

Title: Re: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer
Post by: RSL on July 18, 2014, 12:14:18 pm
All three are excellent, Rajan, but the third is beyond excellent. That's the kind of photograph upon which one can hang a reputation. Bravo! For some strange reason my system will let me look at all three full-sized shots.
Title: Re: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on July 18, 2014, 01:14:58 pm
All three are excellent, Rajan, but the third is beyond excellent. That's the kind of photograph upon which one can hang a reputation. Bravo! For some strange reason my system will let me look at all three full-sized shots.

Russ,

Strange that you are having issues accessing the images here.  Often I include a link to my blog post so that those not logged in or without a LuLa account can see the photos.
Title: Re: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer
Post by: seamus finn on July 18, 2014, 01:22:02 pm
Quote
All three are excellent, Rajan, but the third is beyond excellent. That's the kind of photograph upon which one can hang a reputation.

Couldn't agree more.
Title: Re: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer
Post by: Peter McLennan on July 21, 2014, 01:50:29 am
#3 is beyond criticism.  Simply superb.
Title: Re: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer
Post by: luxborealis on July 21, 2014, 03:46:07 pm
Couldn't agree more.

+1
Title: Re: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer
Post by: mal mcilwraith on July 23, 2014, 02:07:59 am
Rajan

I agree with the general consensus - however I would have liked to see a bit more of the truck in number two - I think more context would suggest a more candid (therefore less orchestrated portrait) I am not suggesting it was orchestrated - but to me it perhaps loses a bit of atmosphere - which I am sure there was plenty.

Cheers



Mal
Title: Re: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on July 23, 2014, 12:05:10 pm
Thank you, all.

Rajan

I agree with the general consensus - however I would have liked to see a bit more of the truck in number two - I think more context would suggest a more candid (therefore less orchestrated portrait) I am not suggesting it was orchestrated - but to me it perhaps loses a bit of atmosphere - which I am sure there was plenty.

Cheers

Mal

Mal,

See the attached uncropped screen grab.  I cropped it to draw attention to the people themselves, but you have a point.  It wasn't choreographed (choreographed photography (i.e. planting models in settings) is not something I do - nothing wrong with it, just not my thing).  If I recall correctly - this was in 2007 and I have forgotten the exact circumstances - I took the shot from the car after instructing my driver to tail the truck, which is why the occupants are aware that the camera is pointed at them.


Title: Re: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer
Post by: RSL on July 23, 2014, 12:16:17 pm
They're both good, Rajan but in my own estimation the first is the better of the two. The cropped one is about the people. The un-cropped one is about the truck. I find people a lot more interesting than trucks.
Title: Re: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer
Post by: mal mcilwraith on July 23, 2014, 03:41:09 pm
Rajan


Thanks for taking the time to post the uncropped version - I agree the people are more interesting than the truck and your back story answers the question as to why the folk are all looking straight at the camera.

So I agree the cropped version is a stronger image - the discussion seems worthwhile in any case.



Mal
Title: Re: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer
Post by: seamus finn on July 23, 2014, 04:16:31 pm
They're both good, Rajan but in my own estimation the first is the better of the two. The cropped one is about the people. The un-cropped one is about the truck. I find people a lot more interesting than trucks.

Yes, I think that's the sum of it.