Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: RSL on July 14, 2014, 05:12:41 pm

Title: Bad Four Days at Black Rock
Post by: RSL on July 14, 2014, 05:12:41 pm
Hi all,

Just so you all know what's going on: For the past four days I haven't been able to get LuLa's thumbnails to give me their linked pictures. I've tried all the current browsers and two different computers, reset my "modem" to factory default and re-programmed it with no improvement. Today I had a long chat with CenturyLink, my internet provider, and was told by the gal with whom I chatted that she went to LuLa over a non-CenturyLink line and got the same results I'm getting. She seems quite sure the problem is at LuLa, but everyone on the site tells me they're having no problems. If everything at LuLa is okay, then there has to be a problem at an internet node between Dallas and Colorado Springs, which is possible but almost vanishingly unlikely.

In any case, I'm going to have to lay off of LuLa for a while since I can't see the pictures that get posted. I'll keep checking and hope for a miracle. See ya when the problem goes away.
Title: Re: Bad Four Days at Black Rock
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 15, 2014, 12:13:03 am
I hope it does get fixed soon. I've had no problems with LuLa either on Internet Exploiter or Firefox.
Title: Re: Bad Four Days at Black Rock
Post by: RSL on July 16, 2014, 12:20:04 pm
I hope it gets fixed soon too, Eric. It's getting worse each day. Until yesterday my laptop sometimes could bring up a complete picture and the desktop very infrequently could. Now neither the laptop or the desktop can bring up the linked file. For some strange reason I always can bring up Terry McDonald's "Garage, Neustadt, Ontario" -- on either computer. Wish I knew why. With most everything else I simply get a dialogue box that tells me "You have chosen to open "index.php," and suggests I open it in DreamWeaver. If I try the same thing with Chrome the browser simply downloads the index.php file. For some reason I'm not getting the package that the rest of the link string after index.php? should send me.
Title: Re: Bad Four Days at Black Rock
Post by: Robert Roaldi on July 16, 2014, 02:19:28 pm
Could be the start of something that I wrote about years ago: http://roberts-rants.blogspot.ca/search?q=ice-9 (http://roberts-rants.blogspot.ca/search?q=ice-9)  :)
Title: Re: Bad Four Days at Black Rock
Post by: RSL on July 16, 2014, 03:23:16 pm
Let's hope not, Robert.
Title: Re: Bad Four Days at Black Rock
Post by: degrub on July 16, 2014, 06:05:24 pm
If it is being stripped, then that sounds like a firewall or AV setting blocking the action. The ISP or local system could be doing it. If it is coming through, but not completing, then maybe a protocol or timout error or dropped packets.

Frank
Title: Re: Bad Four Days at Black Rock
Post by: RSL on July 16, 2014, 06:23:25 pm
Yeah, it could be any of those things. It's not my own ZoneAlarm. I can shut that down and end up with the same problem.
Title: Re: Bad Four Days at Black Rock
Post by: markadams99 on July 18, 2014, 11:30:43 pm
Same here. I suspect it's a Safari/Flash issue.
Title: Re: Bad Four Days at Black Rock
Post by: RSL on July 19, 2014, 11:32:37 am
Mark, I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you having problems getting full-sized pictures from LuLa's thumbnail links?
Title: Re: Bad Four Days at Black Rock
Post by: markadams99 on July 21, 2014, 07:08:04 pm
Lula's thumbnail images simply don't show as thumbnails.
Other embedded images do show.

The problem occurs in Safari, but not in Chrome....latest versions, latest OS.

Update: Now it's working ok in Safari too.
Title: Re: Bad Four Days at Black Rock
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 29, 2014, 04:47:00 pm
Russ, have you noticed any difference between those thumbnails which when clicked open in a new window and those which open in the existing window? You could then think about whether or not you have any pop-up blockers installed, or something like that.

Just a thought.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Bad Four Days at Black Rock
Post by: RSL on July 29, 2014, 06:46:23 pm
Thanks, Jeremy. Yes, I've tried opening the pictures in a separate window, etc., etc., etc. I'm just about convinced that the problem is with my CenturyLink dsl connection -- either the "modem" or some other node on down the line. I'm on them big time to see if I can get it fixed. Since it happens with my desktop and my laptop both I know the problem isn't with the computers, and nobody else on LuLa seems to be having the problem.
Title: Re: Bad Four Days at Black Rock
Post by: Farmer on July 29, 2014, 07:32:11 pm
Can you get an internet connection on your laptop via your phone or similar and then test (i.e. bypass your regular ISP)?
Title: Re: Bad Four Days at Black Rock
Post by: RSL on August 06, 2014, 08:22:45 am
I've been trying for days to find enough time to go to the local Starbucks and get on their WiFi. Almost made it yesterday.

BUT THIS MORNING IT LOOKS AS IF WHATEVER WAS WRONG HAS BEEN FIXED!!! Either LuLa made a change in their software or CenturyLink fixed something in their pipeline. I hate to get too excited because the fix may be temporary, but HOORAY!
Title: Re: Bad Four Days at Black Rock
Post by: RSL on August 07, 2014, 10:03:09 am
It was nice while it lasted, but it only lasted one day.
Title: Re: Bad Four Days at Black Rock
Post by: RSL on August 11, 2014, 01:38:20 pm
Looks as if I finally found the solution. It was a change in Zone Alarm. Seems fixed now, but I'm not going to make any bets on it.
Title: Re: Bad Four Days at Black Rock
Post by: luxborealis on August 11, 2014, 02:02:50 pm
I hope it's fixed - there nothing worse than looking at the same boring picture all the time. Too bad it didn't work one of my landscapes. Of course, that may have really driven you up the wall!!
Title: Re: Bad Four Days at Black Rock
Post by: RSL on August 11, 2014, 02:15:55 pm
Well, as I recall, your Peaceful Summer's Eve didn't exactly drive me up the wall. In fact it reminded me of poetry I wrote long ago.