Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Isaac on July 12, 2014, 10:55:58 am

Title: Drone Aerial Photo Contest Winners - National Geographic France
Post by: Isaac on July 12, 2014, 10:55:58 am
http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2014/07/11/winners-of-first-drone-aerial-photo-contest-announced/
Title: Re: Drone Aerial Photo Contest Winners - National Geographic France
Post by: mezzoduomo on July 12, 2014, 08:59:38 pm
For me, the minimal novelty of these types of photographs has already worn off. Thanks (for nothing) Isaac.  ::)
Title: Re: Drone Aerial Photo Contest Winners - National Geographic France
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 13, 2014, 12:11:16 am
For me, the minimal novelty of these types of photographs has already worn off. Thanks (for nothing) Isaac.  ::)
+1.
Title: Re: Drone Aerial Photo Contest Winners - National Geographic France
Post by: BernardLanguillier on July 13, 2014, 05:09:37 am
I look at things slightly differently.

The low hanging fruits depicted in these examples are indeed a bit tired, but I believe that drones have much greater potential yet untapped.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Drone Aerial Photo Contest Winners - National Geographic France
Post by: Justinr on July 13, 2014, 06:11:14 am
I look at things slightly differently.

The low hanging fruits depicted in these examples are indeed a bit tired, but I believe that drones have much greater potential yet untapped.

Cheers,
Bernard

I'd agree, there is not a lot new or exciting here, just confirmation that you no longer need a plane, crane or handily place scaffolding to take some shots of the roofs of buildings. Having said that the eagle is an interesting intrusion upon the life of birds yet it has to be said that there must have been a certain amount of luck in obtaining this shot.
Title: Re: Drone Aerial Photo Contest Winners - National Geographic France
Post by: petermfiore on July 13, 2014, 07:10:19 am
Having said that the eagle is an interesting intrusion upon the life of birds yet it has to be said that there must have been a certain amount of luck in obtaining this shot.

Luck is the fruit of perseverance.

Peter
Title: Re: Drone Aerial Photo Contest Winners - National Geographic France
Post by: Justinr on July 13, 2014, 10:17:34 am
Luck is the fruit of perseverance.

Peter

Yes and no.

While we might find comfort in such platitudes (the more I practice the luckier I get, is another one) we have to ask whether that was an intended shot or one that just happened. If it was deliberate and the author had spent time and effort researching the habits and locations of the intended subjects then fair enough. However, if the bird had flown past by chance then we are looking at a large element of luck and I rather feel that in this case it was not the best of a series that he had accumulated through days of toil, but I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.
Title: Re: Drone Aerial Photo Contest Winners - National Geographic France
Post by: petermfiore on July 13, 2014, 11:25:13 am
Yes and no.

So you can agree on 50% of what I said...good odds.

Peter

Title: Re: Drone Aerial Photo Contest Winners - National Geographic France
Post by: Justinr on July 13, 2014, 12:30:40 pm

Yes and no.

So you can agree on 50% of what I said...good odds.

Peter



I didn't actually disagree mainly because very few of us are able to achieve anything without practice, but that doesn't mean to say that there is no other element involved in success.  :)
Title: Re: Drone Aerial Photo Contest Winners - National Geographic France
Post by: petermfiore on July 13, 2014, 12:55:48 pm

I didn't actually disagree mainly because very few of us are able to achieve anything without practice, but that doesn't mean to say that there is no other element involved in success.  :)

Luck is huge. I find that I get luckier the harder I plan for success.

Peter
Title: Re: Drone Aerial Photo Contest Winners - National Geographic France
Post by: Justinr on July 13, 2014, 02:42:04 pm
Luck is huge. I find that I get luckier the harder I plan for success.

Peter

So, going back to the winning photo, would you say it was a deliberate shot obtained after meticulous preparation and the photographer can show us lots more similar shots that indicate a determined effort or does it owe something to the other extreme where a bird just happened to wander into view at the right time?
Title: Re: Drone Aerial Photo Contest Winners - National Geographic France
Post by: petermfiore on July 13, 2014, 02:46:37 pm
So, going back to the winning photo, would you say it was a deliberate shot obtained after meticulous preparation and the photographer can show us lots more similar shots that indicate a determined effort or does it owe something to the other extreme where a bird just happened to wander into view at the right time?

It doesn't matter how. What matters is the image.

Peter
Title: Re: Drone Aerial Photo Contest Winners - National Geographic France
Post by: Justinr on July 13, 2014, 03:19:39 pm
It doesn't matter how. What matters is the image.

Peter

But it does matter how - http://www.treehugger.com/culture/wildlife-prize-winning-photo-is-a-fake.html (http://www.treehugger.com/culture/wildlife-prize-winning-photo-is-a-fake.html)





Title: Re: Drone Aerial Photo Contest Winners - National Geographic France
Post by: petermfiore on July 13, 2014, 03:37:00 pm
But it does matter how - http://www.treehugger.com/culture/wildlife-prize-winning-photo-is-a-fake.html (http://www.treehugger.com/culture/wildlife-prize-winning-photo-is-a-fake.html)

Not to me.

Peter





Title: Re: Drone Aerial Photo Contest Winners - National Geographic France
Post by: Justinr on July 13, 2014, 03:40:00 pm


In which case we must agree to differ and I have no problems with that.  :)
Title: Re: Drone Aerial Photo Contest Winners - National Geographic France
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 13, 2014, 04:10:54 pm
The problem with the wolf photo is obviously that the drone was flying at too low an altitude.   ???     ;D
Title: Re: Drone Aerial Photo Contest Winners - National Geographic France
Post by: Justinr on July 13, 2014, 04:56:39 pm
The problem with the wolf photo is obviously that the drone was flying at too low an altitude.   ???     ;D


At that sort of height the wolf would probably think it's a frisbee and return home with it firmly clamped in its jaws.