Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: PeterAit on July 11, 2014, 11:18:50 am

Title: Tricolored heron
Post by: PeterAit on July 11, 2014, 11:18:50 am
Olympus E-M1 with Oly 50-100mm zoom at 200mm. This is a ~1800 x 900 crop from the ~4600 x 3500 original, giving some idea of what this lens is capable of.
Title: Re: Tricolored heron
Post by: PeterAit on July 11, 2014, 11:19:36 am
Duh, Oly 50-200 mm zoom!
Title: Re: Tricolored heron
Post by: luxborealis on July 11, 2014, 11:59:46 am
I used that same lens for about 6 years on the E-1 then the E-30 and was never disappointed. It is an excellent lens, even my go to lens for close-up work. I miss its focal length range and max aperture (100-400 "equivalent", f/2.8-3.5). While similar lenses are available for FF (e.g. Nikkor 80-400), they are not as good, are twice the price and not as fast.

Enjoy that lens!
Title: Re: Tricolored heron
Post by: syncrasy on July 11, 2014, 02:26:23 pm
Very nice.

By the way, that bird is a Green Heron (Butorides virescens), not a Tricolored Heron (Egretta tricolor).
Title: Re: Tricolored heron
Post by: PeterAit on July 12, 2014, 03:02:00 pm
Very nice.

By the way, that bird is a Green Heron (Butorides virescens), not a Tricolored Heron (Egretta tricolor).

I am not sure I agree with your identification. I am not sure about my own ID, either. I have consulted 2 bird guides and this heron is certainly not an adult of either species. The size is more like a green heron, but the long neck (I have seen it in flight) is more like the tricolor. I will try to get some more photos if it shown up again.
Title: Re: Tricolored heron
Post by: degrub on July 12, 2014, 04:14:31 pm
I think the white throat patch helps the id.
http://birds.audubon.org/search/node/Green%20heron

Both are in the search result.

Frank
Title: Re: Tricolored heron
Post by: syncrasy on July 12, 2014, 05:05:35 pm
The Green Heron is a very small, stocky heron (the size of a crow), with comparatively short legs. This heron most often is seen with its neck coiled up (as in your photo), giving the impression of having no neck. Because of its short legs, the Green Heron generally hunts from a perch (log or branch). The Tricolored Heron is a medium-sized, slender heron with very long legs, a much longer bill, and a much more slender neck than the Green Heron. A Tricolored Heron's neck is so long it could never coil it so as to appear neckless (as with the Green Heron in your photo). The long-legged Tricolored Heron generally hunts by wading into the water. The immature/juvenile plumage of both species is different from the adult plumage, and while an immature Tricolored Heron's coloring superficially resembles a Green Heron's, the two species are not often confused with each other because their sizes, shapes and behaviors are so different.

Here's a Green Heron in classic "no neck" pose:

(http://www.swanson-media.com/photos/lightboxes/nature/birds/heron_green/source/image/6028.jpg) (http://www.swanson-media.com/photos/lightboxes/nature/birds/heron_green/source/6028.html)

Here's a Green Heron hunting, first with neck coiled and then fully extended:

(http://www.swanson-media.com/photos/lightboxes/nature/birds/heron_green/source/image/2788.jpg) (http://www.swanson-media.com/photos/lightboxes/nature/birds/heron_green/source/2788.html) (http://www.swanson-media.com/photos/lightboxes/nature/birds/heron_green/source/image/2789.jpg) (http://www.swanson-media.com/photos/lightboxes/nature/birds/heron_green/source/2789.html)

And here's a Green Heron in flight:

(http://www.swanson-media.com/photos/lightboxes/nature/birds/heron_green/source/image/4710.jpg) (http://www.swanson-media.com/photos/lightboxes/nature/birds/heron_green/source/4710.html)


For comparison, here's an adult Tricolored Heron:

(http://www.swanson-media.com/photos/lightboxes/nature/birds/herons_other/source/image/4778.jpg) (http://www.swanson-media.com/photos/lightboxes/nature/birds/herons_other/source/4778.html)

A Tricolored Heron sometimes holds its wings partly open while hunting:

(http://www.swanson-media.com/photos/lightboxes/nature/birds/herons_other/source/image/5693.jpg) (http://www.swanson-media.com/photos/lightboxes/nature/birds/herons_other/source/5693.html)
Title: Re: Tricolored heron
Post by: PeterAit on July 13, 2014, 11:00:37 am
Thanks for the info - I agree now, green heron.
Title: Re: Tricolored heron
Post by: Chris Calohan on July 14, 2014, 10:35:23 am
Another view of a Green Heron