Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Andres Bonilla on July 10, 2014, 01:25:00 pm
-
This was a tough shot for me, the only light was from the television set and a low wattage bulb above; I still like the moment of both of them while the ponder the events of that day. What do you think?
-
Very gritty in a good way.
Peter
-
Hi Andres, Something seems to be wrong with the link. When I click on the picture the larger version tries to come up in DreamWeaver, but ends up as random garbage.
-
I like it - any chance of the back-story? Far from an end of day feel good factor, I get an impression of tremendous anxiety. It's not a relaxed scene, is it, the more you look at it?
-
I know who is pondering, it is me and obviously most of you.
Why is the lady side on to the direction of the TV screen?
Why is the boy looking at the viewer?
Why is there a padlock on the door?
The questions roll on.
Oh by the way, I find the image engaging, maybe voyeuristic, certainly here is "LIFE" pretty much on the inside.
Mal
-
"LIFE" pretty much on the inside.
That's precisely what I was thinking of.
-
Very gritty in a good way.
Peter
Thanks! It was bit challenging
-
Hi Andres, Something seems to be wrong with the link. When I click on the picture the larger version tries to come up in DreamWeaver, but ends up as random garbage.
Wow! I don't have a clue. It is a Jpeg. Could it be something with the site?
-
Can't even guess. From the description of the link I'd guess you uploaded it in the usual way. I tried to bring the object being pointed to up in Photoshop CC. No joy on that either. But nobody else seems to be having a problem, so it may be a local problem.
Okay. All is well. I rebooted and that solved the problem. When I put up "I Ching Readings" I found I couldn't get that master up either.
A good shot, Andres.
-
I like it - any chance of the back-story? Far from an end of day feel good factor, I get an impression of tremendous anxiety. It's not a relaxed scene, is it, the more you look at it?
Yes the story was difficult. She is from Honduras, her husband owned a small store but refused to pay the" mareros" gang members and he was shot. When she got back from work her oldest son was with him trying to put the brain back. The gangs told the la. dy that the son belonged to them. He is 5 years old. She left everything and came to Mexico with her other 2 sons. The young man came by himself but he is mentally a bit slow. She cooks for him and washes his clothes. That night they told them, he did not qualify for asylum.
-
I know who is pondering, it is me and obviously most of you.
Why is the lady side on to the direction of the TV screen?
Why is the boy looking at the viewer?
Why is there a padlock on the door?
The questions roll on.
Oh by the way, I find the image engaging, maybe voyeuristic, certainly here is "LIFE" pretty much on the inside.
The issue with this shelters is that they are temporary. The pad lock is to protect them from predators that may enter in the middle of the night. Actually I got locked in by mistake and had to exit through the roof.
Mal
-
:-\ I was mistaken. Rebooting didn't solve the problem. Beginning sometime yesterday I stopped being able consistently to bring up the larger photographs from LuLa's thumbnail links. I cleared the Firefox cache to see if the problem was a corrupted cache. That wasn't the problem. Once in a while I successfully can get a picture to load properly. Once in a while a picture will be cracked up and splashed all over the screen. Once in a while Firefox will tell me it can't display a picture because it's corrupted. Often, all I'll get is a blank screen. I build webs, so I have all the top browsers available for testing. I have the same problem with all my browsers, so it isn't a problem with Firefox, which is my default. Firefox often will try to load the linked picture in DreamWeaver, and when it does all I get in DreamWeaver is garbage. Chrome explains what Firefox is doing when that happens: when I try to bring up a picture from its thumbnail Chrome simply downloads the "index.php" part of the link's URL string.
LuLa is the only place I'm having this problem. I can go to any other site that has pictures, click on a thumbnail, and instantly load the linked picture. Is anybody else having this problem?
-
:-\ I was mistaken. Rebooting didn't solve the problem. Beginning sometime yesterday I stopped being able consistently to bring up the larger photographs from LuLa's thumbnail links. I cleared the Firefox cache to see if the problem was a corrupted cache. That wasn't the problem. Once in a while I successfully can get a picture to load properly. Once in a while a picture will be cracked up and splashed all over the screen. Once in a while Firefox will tell me it can't display a picture because it's corrupted. Often, all I'll get is a blank screen. I build webs, so I have all the top browsers available for testing. I have the same problem with all my browsers, so it isn't a problem with Firefox, which is my default. Firefox often will try to load the linked picture in DreamWeaver, and when it does all I get in DreamWeaver is garbage. Chrome explains what Firefox is doing when that happens: when I try to bring up a picture from its thumbnail Chrome simply downloads the "index.php" part of the link's URL string.
LuLa is the only place I'm having this problem. I can go to any other site that has pictures, click on a thumbnail, and instantly load the linked picture. Is anybody else having this problem?
I have tried Firefox and even IE and the photos load up fine. I usually use Chrome.
-
One thing I should have added, I'm running Windows 7 Pro on a Dell XPS 8500. As I write this I'm running a deep scan on my system. The scan will take most of the day. But I can't imagine why a virus would affect just LuLa and not other places like 500px.
-
One thing I should have added, I'm running Windows 7 Pro on a Dell XPS 8500. As I write this I'm running a deep scan on my system. The scan will take most of the day. But I can't imagine why a virus would affect just LuLa and not other places like 500px.
I am running Windows 7 Pro also and have no problem viewing the site, except that now when I quote my answer is embedded in the quote.
-
But I can't imagine why a virus would affect just LuLa and not other places like 500px.
How is your standing with the NSA? LOL
Peter
-
I think I'm in the clear, Peter. I don't expect a swat team on the porch within the next few minutes. About an hour ago I got out my laptop to see if I have the same problem with that. No. No problem. But then I remembered that night before last my main system added about twelve Windows updates, so now I'm working on updating the laptop to see if the problem is from the updates. Interesting stuff: I can go to 500px, click on thumbnails there, and everything comes up roses. I've tried a number of other picture sites and found no problems. LuLa is the only one that bombs. The only difference I can put my finger on is that LuLa's link strings are longer than the others and contain "index.php" for a dynamic link. We'll see what happens when the laptop is updated.
-
I finally did a system restore to three days ago. All is now well. Still haven't any idea what the problem was.
-
I think I'm in the clear, Peter. I don't expect a swat team on the porch within the next few minutes. About an hour ago I got out my laptop to see if I have the same problem with that. No. No problem. But then I remembered that night before last my main system added about twelve Windows updates, so now I'm working on updating the laptop to see if the problem is from the updates. Interesting stuff: I can go to 500px, click on thumbnails there, and everything comes up roses. I've tried a number of other picture sites and found no problems. LuLa is the only one that bombs. The only difference I can put my finger on is that LuLa's link strings are longer than the others and contain "index.php" for a dynamic link. We'll see what happens when the laptop is updated.
Auto updates can be and often are killers....
Peter
-
Well, turns out the system restore didn't solve the problem. It's an intermittent. Every other site with pictures works just fine, but not LuLa.
-
Russ have you reached the owner of LULA website? Matbe his webmaster has some clue.
-
Hi Andres, Yep, I got back on my laptop this morning and got it to fail too in bringing up a couple pictures. It seems to be completely random. LuLa is the only site I have a problem with. I can bring up pictures at 500px all day long, and the same thing's true of other sites. I wish I could find another site that uses LuLa's index.php dynamic method of retrieving the larger photo. That's the only difference I can see between LuLa and the other picture sites I've tried, and since both my computers often try to bring up a LuLa picture in DreamWeaver, I'm almost sure that's where the problem lies. That doesn't mean the problem's at the LuLa end. It could be a problem with my CenturyLink router, though why that would start happening suddenly I can't explain.
-
Russ ,FWIW, I dont think LULA has changed anything or there would issues with other users. Makes me think that somehow you triggered something on your end to cause your plight. Can you think of anything that you might have done? I believe you said you had a Windows auto update, anything else?
Peter
-
It's not either computer, Peter. The same thing happens with both of them. I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the DSL service I'm getting from CenturyLink. Interestingly enough, I haven't been able to get the laptop to screw up a download as long as it's connected through wifi, but when I connect it directly to the CenturyLink router it occasionally will give me a scrambled picture. It's all pretty random. But, of course, once I download a scrambled picture it's in my cache, and the only way I can have a chance of correcting it is to purge the cache. That means I've got to start all over with the pictures that came through okay. Second time around a bunch of those will end up screwed up. I'm convinced that part of the problem is LuLa's method of using the "index.php?" dynamic method of retrieving the picture; not that that's something LuLa shouldn't do. But since both computers often try to download the picture into DreamWeaver I suspect the hyperlink string gets truncated on the way down and leaves off the rest of the command line. That probably would be a DSL or a router problem. I really need to find another web site with pictures that uses index.php? so I can confirm my suspicion.
-
Reboot the router ?
Memory errors perhaps ?
Frank
-
Hi Frank, Three reboots already on the bridge/router, which the company mistakenly calls a modem. No change. On Monday I'm going to call in and get them to check the lines and their local equipment.
-
If the WAP is integrated into the modem/router, then likely no issue with the DSL or ISP. It might be a hardware/firmware issue on the hardwire side. I wonder if the ISP pushed an update out?
I had similar issues with a Cisco rv4000 and wap4410 setup where the router software would eventually lockup and not allow web pages to fully load. Usually a reboot would clear it for a while. Replaced it with a rv325 and all the issues went away.
Does the problem follow all ports and cables ?
Frank
-
Thanks, Frank. At this point I know the problem isn't with my own equipment. Next stop a friendly talk with CenturyLink. I have to confess I'm still not convinced that something didn't happen at the LuLa end, but if nobody else is having a problem I pretty much have to write that off.