Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: gck303 on July 07, 2014, 05:24:26 pm

Title: TTL/OTF Fill in flash on a Hasselblad
Post by: gck303 on July 07, 2014, 05:24:26 pm
I have a film based Hasselblad (205TCC) with a Metz SCA300 flash (Hasselblad 4504). I am using Kodak Portra 400 film

What is the best way to use this?

Should I use the TTL mode, or the automatic?

What is the best way to set it up?

I am thinking that setting the camera to the ambient exposure, then setting the flash to TTL. Should I set the film speed to 800, or 1600?

Any advice is greatly received.

George
Title: Re: TTL/OTF Fill in flash on a Hasselblad
Post by: Rod.Klukas on July 07, 2014, 06:41:15 pm
TTL, if it is compatible with your body,  will be the most accurate. But automatic will work with all lenses except variable aperture zooms.  With prime lenses either should be fine, though TTL will take into consideration any variation in camera actions internally, shot to shot.
Rod
Title: Re: TTL/OTF Fill in flash on a Hasselblad
Post by: gck303 on July 08, 2014, 04:53:58 am
Great stuff. Will stick with the TTL mode.

I am trying to work out what my setup should be for wedding-type photography:
- daylight, though hopefully not too sunny
- moving around with the camera
- variable size groups of people

Should I should be tilting the flash head up?

What about the small front flash?

Should I use a flash reflector or diffuser?

Title: Re: TTL/OTF Fill in flash on a Hasselblad
Post by: Rod.Klukas on July 08, 2014, 11:17:38 am
The tilt head is used indoors or in conjunction with a tilt bounce card, such as Lumiquest bounce, work very well to soften the flash.  Auto should be fine.
Rod