Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: wbourassajr on September 23, 2005, 07:13:30 pm

Title: digital DOF
Post by: wbourassajr on September 23, 2005, 07:13:30 pm
Hi,

I'm new to cinematography and trying to wrap my brain around digital DOF issues. As I understand it, the major hinderance to shortening the DOF in digital camcorders is the small size of the chip (nowhere near a 35mm frame). So you end up with no solution but narrowing the FOV and separating your subjects as much as possible.

Is there no way to produce short DOFs, through filters, etc? I've experimented with f/numbers and had no luck at all.

Thanks,

W.
Title: digital DOF
Post by: howard smith on September 23, 2005, 09:22:25 pm
DoF is the same for film and digital.  See "Understanding Depth of Field" on this site.  DoF is a function of lens focal length, f/stop, focus distance and selected circle of confusion.  That's it.