Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stamper on July 04, 2014, 08:21:34 am
-
Trying out a slow shutter speed effect. 1/15th second and a small sturdy tripod.
-
What you needed for this one was a strobe with the camera and flash on rear curtain so you could drag the shutter and catch a sharp image of the bike and rider at the end of the movement trail.
-
Ironically I don't do flash photography. I depend on iso and if that isn't possible then I don't take the shot.
-
Yeah, I did some work with continuous lights back in the sixties, but went to pure available light for decades. Recently I got into speedlights in a fairly big way. You can do some fascinating stuff with them. A strobe isn't always just to provide light for a picture. In this situation I think the result of a strobe popping at the end of the exposure would have resulted in a very interesting shot. When you use a speedlight on rear curtain, the shutter first opens and records what it sees in ambient light. In this case you were dragging the shutter, so the whole train of movement would have been recorded. But just before the shutter closed, the speedlight would have gone off at around 1/1000 second, resulting in a clear image of the rider. You'd have had a sharp rider at the end of his blurred movement trail. I like what you got, especially the interesting effect from the spokes, but I wish I could see the rider in all his glory at the end of his trail.
-
Russ what I simply did was to pre focus with AF ON and press the shutter when the rider entered the frame. I realise that there are "better" ways of doing it but I was happy not to complicate things.