Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: buckshot on July 03, 2014, 08:05:23 pm

Title: Applying an LCC to itself
Post by: buckshot on July 03, 2014, 08:05:23 pm
Ok, slow day here I admit - so decided to have a bit of 'fun' and play around with LCCs.

I dug out the worst that I had and decided to apply it to itself to see if I could get a clean image as a result.

Started with Lumariver - did an excellent job; next up was C1 - again, very clean (not quite as good as Lumariver), then Raw Therapee - seemed ok, and finally Lightroom 5.5 … where I got a 'no real world image detected' error, and it refused to play ball  ???

I guess we can argue 'til the cows come home as to whether or not a close-up photo of a white perspex sheet is a 'real world' photo or not (I'd say it is) - but just curious as to why Lightroom 'thinks' it isn't, and thus won't indulge me?

To my (ignorant) mind, the application of an LCC to itself seems like a quick, down 'n' dirty way of seeing just how good the LCC algorithm being used is. Is that true, or just wishful thinking?

Jim
Title: Re: Applying an LCC to itself
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on July 04, 2014, 04:17:35 am
To my (ignorant) mind, the application of an LCC to itself seems like a quick, down 'n' dirty way of seeing just how good the LCC algorithm being used is. Is that true, or just wishful thinking?

Hi Jim,

That's correct as far as uniformity is concerned. Of course, the lifting of darker (e.g. corner) areas may bring out more noise in lesser exposed areas of a real scene, but that's due to a lower level of exposure to begin with.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Applying an LCC to itself
Post by: buckshot on July 14, 2014, 10:46:57 am
Thanks Bart.

I'm not sure what I object to most - that LR won't play ball or that there's a bunch of code in there that decides what constitutes a 'real world' image.

All a bit too 'Hal'ish if you ask me (with a tip of the hat to ACC/SK)  ;)

Jim
Title: Re: Applying an LCC to itself
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on July 14, 2014, 02:11:33 pm
All a bit too 'Hal'ish if you ask me (with a tip of the hat to ACC/SK)  ;)

You're right Jim.