Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: mal mcilwraith on July 01, 2014, 03:40:33 am

Title: Photographing what is only there in my mind
Post by: mal mcilwraith on July 01, 2014, 03:40:33 am
(http://www.getdpi.com/forum/members/malmac/albums/abstractions/7042-spirit-gorge1.jpg)

I put this image together after spending several days in the Pilliga Forest in New South Wales. It is one of those places that can get into one's imagination.

Here is one of the images that was born in my imagination.

Any comments harsh or otherwise are welcome - we all see the world differently.

Mal
Australia
Title: Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
Post by: luxborealis on July 01, 2014, 07:57:40 am
A truly creative mixed media work! Well-conceived and executed. It certainly causes me to stop, take notice and ponder.

Some may find the hand prints contrived. Photographic purists will poo-poo the use of another medium. I find the addition of the handprints adds depth of meaning to the work. Your use of the different hues is excellent. However the handprints are noticeably "simpler" than the photograph. They seem like "cut-outs" and might benefit from some added texture to make them slightly more tactile, to more truly recreate the essence of being on the rock face. The translucency helps, but I think added texture would complement the detail of the rest of the work.

You seem to have a clear notion of what you are after; nicely done.
Title: Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
Post by: BobDavid on July 01, 2014, 09:18:36 am
Keep going with this concept. You may be on to something.
Title: Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 01, 2014, 11:10:51 am
I agree. Thoughtful and effective.
Title: Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
Post by: RSL on July 01, 2014, 11:18:26 am
I like it, Mal, though it's not really my cuppa tea. I wish I could see it in a larger format. The version on this thread is a bit cramped. The almost invisible figure at camera right make me think "Gauguin."
Title: Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
Post by: mal mcilwraith on July 01, 2014, 04:28:11 pm
"They seem like "cut-outs" and might benefit from some added texture to make them slightly more tactile, to more truly recreate the essence of being on the rock face. The translucency helps, but I think added texture would complement the detail of the rest of the work."

Quote from Terry

Thank you everyone for your constructive input.

The photograph was taken with an IQ180 and the actual print size is 36 inches by 18 inches - so plenty of detail.
I agree regarding the cut out impression the hand prints make at present - you are quite astute because these prints are a concept mock up for the final work.

The idea is to take a sheet of acrylic and to hand print the images onto the acrylic using my families hand prints from large size down to the two year olds - then the finished work will be sort of a visual sandwich - print, then matt, then acrylic, then another matt, then non reflective glass - all framed of course.

With my images I want the process of creating the image to be organic rather than contrived - so invariably the image grows out of a process of drawing, photography, reading, thinking and just good old fashioned meditation.

Thank you once again for your responses.

Mal

Title: Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
Post by: Alan Klein on July 01, 2014, 11:55:26 pm
I like it.  Has an Aborigine look.
Title: Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
Post by: luxborealis on July 02, 2014, 05:40:24 pm
With my images I want the process of creating the image to be organic rather than contrived - so invariably the image grows out of a process of drawing, photography, reading, thinking and just good old fashioned meditation.

Brilliant!
Title: Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
Post by: mal mcilwraith on July 02, 2014, 06:53:21 pm
(http://www.getdpi.com/forum/members/malmac/albums/abstractions/5675-supplejack-tree.jpg)

Terry

Thank You.

Here is another image I made, where I got the feeling of this old Supplejack Tree's essence being flung out into the universe from where it had come - It was like a fountain in my mind. So I did one really sharp image and then overlaid a series of individual slow shutter camera shots where I moved the camera to caress the branch groups to capture the movement that I wanted. Then a good deal of Photoshop to finish the process. This is an example of how my process ends up working.

Regards


Mal
Title: Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
Post by: wmchauncey on July 02, 2014, 09:56:58 pm
Mal, I lack your creatively, but...don't allow myself to be deterred from cheating.  I take a picture of a flower>display it on my monitor>
park a water droplet in front of the monitor>leisurely take the shot from the comfort of my desk.    ;D
Title: Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
Post by: mal mcilwraith on July 02, 2014, 11:20:37 pm
I really don't consider my self a photographer, I think of my self as an image maker - you take the flower, you want your image to have a water drop, fine you make your image have one - some people want just one capture point, and that is the way they make their image.

I don't want to infer that my images happened in the real world, they happen in my head.

Cheers



Mal
Title: Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 02, 2014, 11:47:49 pm
Wonderful images, Mal!

To me it's only of minor interest that a camera is a useful tool in your image-making bag. The images are what matter.

I hope you'll post the final version of the Pilliga Forest image once the family handprints are in place.
Title: Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
Post by: luxborealis on July 03, 2014, 08:05:00 am
This is reinforcing the notion that what the camera/machine captures in a raw file is not an end product, but rather a beginning - in many ways it's the sketch that we then transform into that creative, expressive finished work our mind sees and compels us to work towards.

I wish I had your creativity, Mal - it's wonderful to see and is certainly an inspiration. In many ways, I still live by the Adam's notion of the "straight" photograph that accentuates the unique aspects of a photograph as a photograph and not as a pseudo-painting. Over the years, I've come to realize that he was just reacting to the pictorialist movement that preceded him. Photography has so much more to offer with or without mixed media and you are helping to lead the way. Thank you!
Title: Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
Post by: louoates on July 03, 2014, 09:50:51 am
This is reinforcing the notion that what the camera/machine captures in a raw file is not an end product, but rather a beginning - in many ways it's the sketch that we then transform into that creative, expressive finished work our mind sees and compels us to work towards.

I couldn't have said it better.
Cameras and their raw files are more and more becoming art supplies, somewhat like the paints in an artist's drawer.
Title: Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
Post by: Isaac on July 03, 2014, 12:38:07 pm
In many ways, I still live by [the] Adams's notion of the "straight" photograph…

When you comment about "photographic purists" are you talking about how you would have felt previously?


"Welcome to Oz (http://books.google.com/books?id=jZRHngEACAAJ)" ;-)

Quote
When someone sees this image for the first time, I frequently hear, "I've seen that… but I've never been able to photograph it." Then they tell me that I'm the luckiest photographer in the world for having been at the right spot at the right moment to capture it. In reality, this image is made up of nine images shot over an hour and a half. What actually happened is that first, the rainbow appeared in a cloudless, fogless sky. Then the ray of light hit the bridge, after which the fog rolled in and the clouds appeared. …

What I strive to do … is combine a series of "now" moments into one image that will be seen by the viewer as a single "now."
Title: Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
Post by: mal mcilwraith on July 03, 2014, 05:11:35 pm
I see a fine line that maybe moves, maybe thin and clear then maybe soft and blurred - that line is the line between being inspired by something someone else has done AND just copying what they have done and fooling myself into thinking I have become creative.

Who is to say where that line lays - perhaps for everyone it is different.

I try to stay as much as possible on my own side but perhaps I am only deceiving myself. I guess I would say I copy mother nature and when I am inspired by other peoples work, I try to let the inspiration draw more out of my intuition rather than trying to reproduce what they have done so well. Of course I probably cross the line way too often, but I do try not to.


Mal
Title: Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
Post by: BobDavid on July 04, 2014, 12:27:16 am
It all boils down to whether or not an image is successful or not. I think the "tree" has some strengths and weaknesses. Still, I think as far as exploration goes, it's an excellent beginning. Keep it up.
Title: Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
Post by: mal mcilwraith on July 04, 2014, 01:10:16 am
(http://www.getdpi.com/forum/members/malmac/albums/abstractions/5716-erosion-memory.jpg)

Bob

Thanks for taking the time to view my images and for your comments.

Here is another image which I explored in my mind the idea of how my memory is eroded over time.
This is a composite photo and drawing done on location.

I am not sure what you felt was lacking in the Supplejack Tree, but in the image's defence I think when you view the framed print on a lightly textured art paper at 36 inches wide the fine detail that underpin the broad washes of colour may soften some of your concerns, then again maybe not.

Mal
Title: Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 04, 2014, 12:22:25 pm
Mal,

This new one, the "memory tree," is superb, visceral, powerful!

Ditto to everything Terry said.

Eric
Title: Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
Post by: louoates on July 04, 2014, 02:46:24 pm
Mal,

This new one, the "memory tree," is superb, visceral, powerful!

Ditto to everything Terry said.

Eric

Ditto. Nicely done. Serves to nicely illustrate how creative vision and post processing can yield a highly successful image. The more I see excellent images like this the more displeased I am with the obvious canned filter effects beginners are using.
Title: Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
Post by: BobDavid on July 04, 2014, 07:50:57 pm
(http://www.getdpi.com/forum/members/malmac/albums/abstractions/5716-erosion-memory.jpg)

Bob

Thanks for taking the time to view my images and for your comments.

Here is another image which I explored in my mind the idea of how my memory is eroded over time.
This is a composite photo and drawing done on location.

I am not sure what you felt was lacking in the Supplejack Tree, but in the image's defence I think when you view the framed print on a lightly textured art paper at 36 inches wide the fine detail that underpin the broad washes of colour may soften some of your concerns, then again maybe not.

The composition is well thought out--golden mean / golden section. The line quality is just right--looks like charcoal pencil, and the use of color is spot on. A desirable piece, this one.

Mal

When I first glanced at this, I thought "That would look great printed on cold press paper." This is a compelling picture--makes no difference how you blended photography and drawing. I appreciate it on a visceral level. How many in the series do you have or are you intending to produce? Looking at a big print is a lot different than looking at a pixelated facsimile on a laptop. I'm sure the Supplejack tree is much more nuanced than what my Samsung 14" screen shows.
Title: Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
Post by: BobDavid on July 04, 2014, 08:07:52 pm
The branches, tendrils, suggest ganglia interconnected with the cerebral cortex. I would not have seen it that way if you hadn't mention the dissolution of memory over time.

I like the composition of this picture, it shows (intentionally or not) a Golden Section / Golden Mean form. The color is tasty--just right as well as the black charcoal lines. ... Very strong image.

This is an image that will have a lot of impact at 36" wide. Do you have plans to exhibit this set?
Title: Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
Post by: luxborealis on July 04, 2014, 09:35:05 pm
More fantastic and fantastical work, Mal. To take louoates' comment further, the more I see what you've done, the more I'm displeased with my very literal approach to photography. I love what I do, but your work has so much more depth. It's the difference between decorative art (my work) and conceptual art (your work).

Again, thanks for sharing!
Title: Re: Photographing what is only there in my mind
Post by: mal mcilwraith on July 05, 2014, 04:16:49 pm
Hi Bob and Terry in particular

I have had this image printed at 36 inches wide and I feel it does look as good as it can.

The problem with this exploratory approach to image making is that each image can take weeks or longer to come together.
I have on some occasions spent probably 80 hours just on the photoshop side not to mention the painting and drawing side.
BUT as my wife would tell you I am very inefficient rather than incredibly fastidious.

I sort of drift and try different things, do multiple versions and have many many images that are over 2 Gig and many more that remain unfinished.

Your comment about the ganglia is right on, not that I was conscious of that dimension -

(http://www.getdpi.com/forum/members/malmac/albums/abstractions/4073-green-moss-trees.jpg)

Here is a straight photograph from my collection - which yes I am putting together an exhibition of my works for maybe 2015 - but I am not rushing the project. This image came out of an early morning photo expedition, on my own to a lonely rainforest lookout. I noticed one other car parked in the car park about a mile form the lookout. It was pitch black in the forest and I only had a small torch. So all the way along I expected to come across some other crazy photog. But no one appeared. So by the time the early morning sun was shining through the forest I admit I had got pretty scared and then I walk into this scene and my imagination is pretty keyed up. And it is like the spirit of the forest was breathing this fear into my soul - it was not that my logical, sequential brain function was disengaged, but rather that I had two brains at the one time, one superstitious and imaginative and the other, going, hey this would make a cool image - so tripod, IQ180 etc and made this image.

Terry I went to your BLOG and saw your image of the Teasel and the Horn of Plenty, these are great images and you have taken many more. My images are just a product of my love of painting combined with photography, just my take on this fantastic journey called conscious life.

Sorry for rabbiting on


Mal