Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: dwdallam on September 21, 2005, 04:39:28 am

Title: Paper Cutter
Post by: dwdallam on September 21, 2005, 04:39:28 am
I need to buy a paper cutter with a 18" opening for triming 12 x 18 images. Is there anywhere special that you all buy from where I can order an 18" paper cutter, and which brand do you recommend?

I also think I want a guillotine cutter, not a rotary, so I can cut things like 3/16 foam core boards, etc. Is that a good choice then?
Title: Paper Cutter
Post by: boku on September 21, 2005, 01:18:52 pm
Have you considered a straightedge and an X-acto knife? Works for me every time.
Title: Paper Cutter
Post by: howard smith on September 21, 2005, 01:49:11 pm
I use a straight cutter on my Logan Compact for cutting thick material.  I use a RotoTrim for paper.
Title: Paper Cutter
Post by: Dan Sroka on September 21, 2005, 01:54:02 pm
I have the same as Howard. The RotoTrim is pricey, but it's very high quality. For thick board, I either use my Logan (designed to do mat cutting) or a straightedge and knife.

Guillotine cutters are tough, because the action of the blade tends to shift the paper. Plus, I nearly lost a finger tip in one once. Yowch.
Title: Paper Cutter
Post by: Lisa Nikodym on September 21, 2005, 02:05:53 pm
I had a guillotine cutter, and had trouble getting it to cut quite at right angles.  Don't know whether the problem was me (the paper shifting?) or the cutter (not assembled very precisely?).  Anyway, I replaced it with a Rotatrim, and the latter has worked far better.

Lisa
Title: Paper Cutter
Post by: mikeseb on September 21, 2005, 02:54:44 pm
Let me add one more vote for going with the Rotatrim for paper and something else for thicker materials--I also use the Logan mat cutter.  A guillotine cutter sturdy enough to cut thick stuff is not going to cut very precisely on thinner materials like papers.

I think this is a place to go for quality if you can at all afford it. I have a 35" (I think) Rotatrim that is superb.
Title: Paper Cutter
Post by: mcanyes on September 21, 2005, 05:16:45 pm
A less expensive alternate to Rotatrim is Carl trimmers. Look on Staples website. I just bought a small one and it is quite nice. Rotatrim still is the best.
Title: Paper Cutter
Post by: AHAB on September 21, 2005, 07:17:56 pm
Rototrim with the dual rails is excellent.
AHAB
Title: Paper Cutter
Post by: dwdallam on September 22, 2005, 01:22:06 am
Quote
Have you considered a straightedge and an X-acto knife? Works for me every time.
LOL, you always make me laugh Bob. Yeah, that is a good point, but then I have to have a cutting mat and make sure I hold the paper perfectly still--which never happens for me.
Title: Paper Cutter
Post by: dwdallam on September 22, 2005, 01:25:37 am
All good experiences and ideas. I'll make my decision based on your replies, and thanks again.