Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Shrev94412 on June 25, 2014, 10:46:50 pm

Title: Filters .....for Rodenstock/ALPA HR Alpagon 4.0/32 mm, SB17
Post by: Shrev94412 on June 25, 2014, 10:46:50 pm
Well my new Rodenstock/ALPA HR Alpagon 4.0/32 mm, SB17 will arrive on Friday and I am very excited. (Not to brag). But I am now trying to decide which ND and polarizer filter brand to buy in 86mm. For my Hasselblad and Nikon systems I use B+W. I want to buy filters for this Rodie that will not take away from the quality of the Rodie glass. For ND's I usually buy a .6, .9 and a 1.2. And of course a polarizer.

Any suggestions from you guys that already shoot Rodenstock or Schneider? Filter brand Name is what I am looking for.....

Thanks!

(Oh..attaching to a Alpa STC and an IQ180)
Title: Re: Filters .....for Rodenstock/ALPA HR Alpagon 4.0/32 mm, SB17
Post by: JoeKitchen on June 26, 2014, 12:30:29 am
I use B+W filtes, especially when it comes to polarizers.  They are very top of the line and have no tint, which is especially important for polarizers.  I have found that a polarizer with a tint not only gives an overall tint, but the saturation of the tint will changes as you spin it in the areas where the glares are only.  This is almost impossible to fix in post without spending hours separating out those areas. 
Title: Re: Filters .....for Rodenstock/ALPA HR Alpagon 4.0/32 mm, SB17
Post by: Paul2660 on June 26, 2014, 07:51:49 am
I think you will find that you can only get one filter in front of the lens before you start to vignette, and that should be a thin design.  The 28mm is 72mm front threaded and it will barely allow a single 72mm filter before you corner vignette, and this is before you shift.  The 32mm @ 86mm may behave better, but I doubt you will get 2x stacked and be able to shift much past 5mm before you optically vignette.  The 86mm will not work well with the Lee system either since Lee refuses to make a 86mm wide angle ring, and the standard ring will vignette on the 32mm.

My main setup is the Lee wide angle hood, with the 105mm B+W CL-PL, and then I use the Lee glass ND filters or a CF on the lens.

If you purchase the CF, for this lens, you go from 86mm to 105mm.   The CF in itself will act as ND as it drops the exposure 2.5 stops.  You can then add a 105mm CL-PL but again, finding a thin design at 105mm may be hard to do. 

As for brands, I agree with Joe on the brands he mentioned.  I have B+W, and the Tiffen filters, (ones with the white water glass).  Several have IR blocking built in. 

Congratulations on the 32mm Rodenstock, excellent lens indeed.  Be aware that this lens is a bit delicate and can have problems where the copal shutter is mounted.  It's not recommend to carry the lens mounted on the camera on a tripod. 

Paul
Title: Re: Filters .....for Rodenstock/ALPA HR Alpagon 4.0/32 mm, SB17
Post by: jsiva on June 26, 2014, 08:09:19 am
I have 105mm ND and CPL filers for this lens from Heliopan.  All think versions.  I can use them on the CF or directly with a 86-10mm step-up ring.  With the 32HR, I have not seen any issues.  On my 23HR, the CPL does vignette when stacked with the CF.

Got my filters from teamworksdigital in the UK, the prices were much much better than US dealers.

Jag
Title: Re: Filters .....for Rodenstock/ALPA HR Alpagon 4.0/32 mm, SB17
Post by: Paul2660 on June 26, 2014, 12:05:48 pm
I have 105mm ND and CPL filers for this lens from Heliopan.  All think versions.  I can use them on the CF or directly with a 86-10mm step-up ring.  With the 32HR, I have not seen any issues.  On my 23HR, the CPL does vignette when stacked with the CF.

Got my filters from teamworksdigital in the UK, the prices were much much better than US dealers.

Jag

This is good to know.  What at shifts, say 15mm, with the CF and the 105 CLPL, do you get any vignetting?

Thanks
Paul
Title: Re: Filters .....for Rodenstock/ALPA HR Alpagon 4.0/32 mm, SB17
Post by: Shrev94412 on June 26, 2014, 07:19:37 pm
All this information is really good!! I didn't realize the center filter steps up from an 86mm to a 105mm. I guess I would have noticed that on Friday when it arrives. So I am looking at a step up ring for when/if I am not using the center filter from 86mm to 105mm. and then I plan on purchasing all 105mm filters. I agree on both B+W and Heliopan so I will focus on those particular selections. Please advise if you disagree.

LL is such a great resource. Thanks for all your advise. I plan on taking this new camera up to the Canadian Rockies, Glacier and Yellowstone in late August so very excited.

Thanks again!
Title: Re: Filters .....for Rodenstock/ALPA HR Alpagon 4.0/32 mm, SB17
Post by: Paul2660 on June 26, 2014, 07:24:00 pm
The CF. Will step up for you. Rear threads will be 86mm front will be 105. No need for step up rings unless you want to shoot multiple filters stacked. These would need to be 105mm to prevent vignetting.

If you get a step up ring get the brass one by Heliopan. 

Paul
Title: Re: Filters .....for Rodenstock/ALPA HR Alpagon 4.0/32 mm, SB17
Post by: alan_b on June 26, 2014, 10:29:22 pm
For NDs, I second the Tiffen water white glass IR ND filters. 

I had always used BW/Heliopan filters before, but find the IR cut Tiffens to be more neutral with digital.  I don't know if others offer this combo?
Title: Re: Filters .....for Rodenstock/ALPA HR Alpagon 4.0/32 mm, SB17
Post by: jsiva on June 27, 2014, 02:26:56 am
Paul, I need to check what the max shift is with both on is.  Will let you know as soon as I get a chance over the weekend.
Title: Re: Filters .....for Rodenstock/ALPA HR Alpagon 4.0/32 mm, SB17
Post by: Paul2660 on June 27, 2014, 07:35:55 am
Paul, I need to check what the max shift is with both on is.  Will let you know as soon as I get a chance over the weekend.

I would love to know what you get on full shifts with that filter stack.  I would love to have this lens, and besides the cost and weight, the issue with filters, and the CF have kept me away from it.  It's a stellar optic but in U.S. dollars with a Arca mount now around 10K, just for the lens.  I still watch for a used one to show up.

Paul
Title: Test Samples
Post by: jsiva on July 01, 2014, 05:57:32 am
32HR on ARCA RM3Di
IQ180 in landscape orientation
CF - 105mm Rodenstock CF for 32HR
CP - 105mm Heliopan multi-coated Slim (used with 86mm step up ring when used without CF)
ND - 105mm Heliopan 3 stop multi-coated slim (used with 86mm step up ring when used without CF)

Imported into C1 adjusted exposure to match and just a simple screen capture to show here.

1.  No filters - 15mm L/R Shift

(http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/1/2/3/9/9/no_filters_15mm_shifts.jpg)


2.  CF Only - 15mm L/R Shift

(http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/1/2/3/9/9/cf_15mm_shifts.jpg)


3.  CF + ND - 10mm L/R Shift

(http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/1/2/3/9/9/cf___cp_10mm_shifts.jpg)


4.  CF + ND - 15mm L/R Shift

(http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/1/2/3/9/9/cf___nd_15mm_shifts.jpg)

5.  CF+ CP - 15mm L/R Shift

(http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/1/2/3/9/9/cf___cp_15mm_shifts.jpg)


6.  ND Only - 15mm L/R Shift

(http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/1/2/3/9/9/nd_15mm_shifts.jpg)


7.  CP Only - 15mm L/R Shift

(http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/1/2/3/9/9/nd_15mm_shifts.jpg)
Title: Re: Filters .....for Rodenstock/ALPA HR Alpagon 4.0/32 mm, SB17
Post by: jsiva on July 01, 2014, 06:49:41 am
Now with LCC and WB corrections in C1:

1.  No filters - 15mm L/R Shift

(http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/1/2/3/9/9/no_filters_15mm_shifts_-_lcc.jpg)


2.  CF Only - 15mm L/R Shift

(http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/1/2/3/9/9/_26400.jpg)


3.  CF + ND - 10mm L/R Shift

(http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/1/2/3/9/9/cf___cp_10mm_shifts_-_lcc.jpg)


4.  CF + ND - 15mm L/R Shift

(http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/1/2/3/9/9/cf___nd_15mm_shifts_-_lcc.jpg)

5.  CF+ CP - 15mm L/R Shift

(http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/1/2/3/9/9/cf___cp_15mm_shifts_-_lcc.jpg)


6.  ND Only - 15mm L/R Shift

(http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/1/2/3/9/9/nd_only_15mm_shifts_-_lcc.jpg)


7.  CP Only - 15mm L/R Shift

(http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/1/2/3/9/9/cp_only_15mm_shifts_-_lcc.jpg)
Title: Re: Filters .....for Rodenstock/ALPA HR Alpagon 4.0/32 mm, SB17
Post by: rogerxnz on July 18, 2014, 04:46:41 pm
Absolutely, brilliant, jsiva!
Roger

Title: Re: Filters .....for Rodenstock/ALPA HR Alpagon 4.0/32 mm, SB17
Post by: Shrev94412 on July 22, 2014, 09:49:17 pm
Nice! Thanks for that. Looks like the LCC works perfect!

Thanks again