Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 25, 2014, 04:25:56 pm

Title: Midwest Weather
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 25, 2014, 04:25:56 pm
Went for a bike ride yesterday, on a nice and sunny afternoon... got scared by the approaching storm. Taken by iPhone, from a (fast) moving bike.

Turns out it was a false alarm. But then again, you never know in the Midwest whether it is going to turn for the worse of dissipate, so I decided to err on the side of caution and cut the ride short. I do not mind rain, but lightning in the open field is a different matter.


P.S. Russ, there is a human element in the second one (a jogger)  ;)
Title: Re: Midwest Weather
Post by: Kevin Raber on June 25, 2014, 04:30:50 pm
I'm in Indianapolis and we got hit hard by the same system.  Tornado and all.

Kevin
Title: Re: Midwest Weather
Post by: francois on June 26, 2014, 06:36:53 am
I like them both but the second one is my favorite. The storm/cloud is a lot more menacing in #2, it comes over the photographer. The first photo doesn't give that impression.

PS: you did well regarding the lightning threat, I was once caught in the open and I was very very lucky that day.
Title: Re: Midwest Weather
Post by: David Anderson on June 26, 2014, 08:34:29 am
Serves you right for riding a bike - silly things they are.  ;D
Title: Re: Midwest Weather
Post by: RSL on June 26, 2014, 11:09:47 am
Good for you, Slobodan. Until about eight years ago I was getting a couple hundred miles a week on a road bike, but I never dared carry a camera. My current cell phone would have been the solution.
Title: Re: Midwest Weather
Post by: KirbyKrieger on June 26, 2014, 11:30:03 am
What differentiates "human element" from "human"?
Title: Re: Midwest Weather
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 26, 2014, 11:40:00 am
What differentiates "human element" from "human"?

I am sure Isaac would be able to tell you better than I possibly could :)
Title: Re: Midwest Weather
Post by: Jim Pascoe on June 26, 2014, 12:14:38 pm
I think I prefer the first picture because I like to see the height of the cloud.  The slightly soft effect works well.  Great picture.

Jim
Title: Re: Midwest Weather
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 26, 2014, 08:01:38 pm
I like them both but the second one is my favorite. The storm/cloud is a lot more menacing in #2, it comes over the photographer. The first photo doesn't give that impression.

I included both to illustrate how quickly things can turn from "cute" to "menacing" when it comes to weather.
Title: Re: Midwest Weather
Post by: BobDavid on June 27, 2014, 09:49:09 am
I was born and raised in Nebraska. I agree there is something amazing about the cloud formations prior, during, and after big boomers. It's that eerie greenish light that is scary--indicator of high probability for a tornado.