Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: BobDavid on June 24, 2014, 04:14:21 pm

Title: I Don't Get It
Post by: BobDavid on June 24, 2014, 04:14:21 pm
I take lots of picture. My technique is fairly meticulous. I tend to photograph banal stuff. The challenge is making prosaic subjects become interesting. Here's one I took a few months ago. I thought it was sort of funny, but I didn't take it seriously. Well, I just sold a print of it today.
Title: Re: I Don't Get It
Post by: RSL on June 24, 2014, 05:19:38 pm
I get it. It's more Winogrand, or maybe Irwitt.
Title: Re: I Don't Get It
Post by: BobDavid on June 24, 2014, 07:43:31 pm
Those are some top-end photographers you've mentioned. Thanks for the compliment. The local curator of our wee little museum here in the swampland, goes for B & W photos of swans, barren snow scenes in urban parks, and big trees.
Title: Re: I Don't Get It
Post by: sharperstill on June 25, 2014, 06:29:42 am
Sometimes you can try too hard Bob. Maybe because you didn't take it as seriously as your other work it has something that the others don't.  Perhaps being meticulous comes  at the price of something else?
Title: Re: I Don't Get It
Post by: petermfiore on June 25, 2014, 06:53:43 am
Sometimes you can try too hard Bob. Maybe because you didn't take it as seriously as your other work it has something that the others don't.  Perhaps being meticulous comes  at the price of something else?

There is much truth in this statement. Often we over think and over work things and end up choking the life out of the work.

Peter

Title: Re: I Don't Get It
Post by: RSL on June 25, 2014, 08:08:47 am
Ah ha! At last. . !
Title: Re: I Don't Get It
Post by: BobDavid on June 25, 2014, 09:05:41 am
It's easy to fall into the overwork/over analyze trap. Lately, my simpler photos are the ones people like (and purchase). Hmm--it's so easy to  focus on a single tree and ignore the forest (trite but true).