Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: ol_p on September 20, 2005, 09:15:03 am

Title: multi coated vs regular filters
Post by: ol_p on September 20, 2005, 09:15:03 am
Hi,
I want to get a b&w circular polarizer filter. Could anyone advise me whether I should get the multi coated one or just the normal one. Is there a big difference between the two - except the price of course?

Thanks
Title: multi coated vs regular filters
Post by: Jonathan Wienke on September 20, 2005, 09:30:40 am
You get what you pay for. Why turn a decent lens into a coke bottle with a cheap filter?
Title: multi coated vs regular filters
Post by: Graham Welland on September 20, 2005, 09:51:44 am
The multi coated B&W will have a greater level of resistance to internal reflections and glare than the regular B&W polarizer. I'd agree with Jonathan's assessment although the the 'standard' B&W polarizer is far from being a cheap & nasty filter to start with.

If it's a choice between a $160 polarizer and a $100 polarizer on a $1000 lens then it obviously makes sense. If you're looking at the effect it'll have on a $300 consumer level lens then I think it's less important.
Title: multi coated vs regular filters
Post by: howard smith on September 20, 2005, 09:58:35 am
I'm not sure either way about the relative effect on an average and a great lens.  The average lens can use all the help it can get, so an average lens may benefit more from a multicoated filter.  A great lens deserves a great filter.  Either way, the multicoated filter should be worth the money.
Title: multi coated vs regular filters
Post by: ol_p on September 21, 2005, 02:57:27 am
Thanks. I think my nightmares are over!