Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: dgillilan on June 19, 2014, 10:25:47 am
-
Hi,
If I wanted an archival pen to write my notes on my test prints (paper type, settings used, date, etc.) where would I find an archival writing pen? I am thinking that Sharpie pens are not archival.
Does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive archival pen to write notes on a test print?
Thanks, Debra
-
Why not a pencil?
You don't get much more archival than graphite...
-
Yes, I have used pencil, I did not realize that it is considered archival. Thanks.
-
I use the Prismacolor pens-found them at an art store. Blicks, I think. They claim: achival quality/acid free/lightfast. I use the 03 & 05 sizes. They do have different colors but I only use the black. I like the constant fine point and the fact that I don't have to sharpen them. ;D
-
I've been very satisfied with the Stabilo 8046 (black). relatively soft and you can write on the back of prints without indentation
-
Thanks SteveR and KeithR, I will look into the Stabilo and Prismacolor ones at dick blicks,
Debra
-
Debra,
Pigma Micron pens are widely available, archival, and come in a variety of sizes. FWIW, these are the ones I use for signing prints and mats.
Alan
-
Any idea if you'd be able to load MIS or Piezography inks into any sort of pen?
-
Fill Staedtler Mars Marsmatic 700 or any Rotring pen, from ISO 0.13 upwards. For signing of prints on smooth and textured matte art papers they are not usable, coating particles will clog the tip. On satin and gloss papers it goes better. For stipple retouche they are usable on any paper. I use a Vivera pigment black + a light grey one.
--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
April 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.
-
Fill Staedtler Mars Marsmatic 700 or any Rotring pen, from ISO 0.13 upwards. For signing of prints on smooth and textured matte art papers they are not usable, coating particles will clog the tip. On satin and gloss papers it goes better. For stipple retouche they are usable on any paper. I use a Vivera pigment black + a light grey one.
--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
April 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.
There's no coating if you sign the back of the paper. Seems like a good idea for signing the front, though. I'm guessing that a nib pen should also work, and wouldn't have the clogging problem.
-
Just curious. Why are you interested in making ARCHIVAL notes on test prints?
-
If I go to look at the test print years from now, I would like to see the notes I made and not have them yellow or destroy the paper. I am not necessarily talking about test prints that you throw away, I am talking about test prints that I make to determine different media types in a profile, or prints that I make on sample paper to test them.
Thanks, Debra
-
Get the made-in-Japan and assembled in America ZIG Ek Tools Journaling pen.
You can get them at Walmart, or online at http://www.eksuccessbrands.com/ektools/Products/ZIG_Journaling_Pen_2-Pack__Black_55-30065.htm
Work great.
-
I believe the old masters just used pencil, and even for their retouching. I've seen notes on the backs of some of them from the 30's from my grandmother in pencil on who it is in the shot and it's still there. Someone did a lot of dodging and burning notes on some of his prints in some blog where the guy marked up his stuff pretty thoroughly in pencil.
I'd be more worried about ink or its solvent leeching through the front over pencil.
SG