Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Simon J.A. Simpson on June 18, 2014, 06:24:07 pm

Title: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: Simon J.A. Simpson on June 18, 2014, 06:24:07 pm
So, Photoshop and Lightroom are being updated – kind of, I think.  And we have to agree to new terms and conditions http://www.adobe.com/legal/general-terms.html (http://www.adobe.com/legal/general-terms.html).  Wouldn't it be of more help if Adobe pointed-out the differences between the old and new terms rather than just giving us a blanket page of small print to read ?

However, this aside, I am now presented with an interesting choice in the Creative Cloud application window.  I can update Photoshop CC, and update Photoshop CC (2014) and I can update Lightroom which is clearly marked as already being "Up to date".  What does all this mean ?

And I read on DPReview http://bit.ly/1nkso9N  (http://bit.ly/1nkso9N)that Adobe are also going to offer a new package for Creative Cloud for Photographers which will include Lightroom CC – at the same price as the "special time limited offer" (ha ha) of $9.99US – but you have to forgo 18GB of "cloud storage" and sign-up to a new agreement.

Confused ?  I certainly am.

I am imagining a room at Adobe HQ full of marketing types shooting themselves repeatedly in the foot.  Ouch !

Oh boy, is this one going to run and run.
Title: Re: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: Rick Popham on June 18, 2014, 06:46:19 pm
Quote from: Simon J.A. Simpson link=topic=90922.msg740046#msg740046 date=1403130247
And I read on DPReview [url=http://bit.ly/1nkso9N
http://bit.ly/1nkso9N [/url]that Adobe are also going to offer a new package for Creative Cloud for Photographers which will include Lightroom CC – at the same price as the "special time limited offer" (ha ha) of $9.99US – but you have to forgo 18GB of "cloud storage" and sign-up to a new agreement.

The Photographer's package includes Lightroom 5.  There is no Lightroom CC:  Adobe includes access to Lightroom as part of the subscription in the package, but Lightroom is supposed to remain available subscription free -- and I fervently hope it does.
Title: Re: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: Simon J.A. Simpson on June 19, 2014, 05:10:48 am
I re-read the post and it doesn't specifically say that Lightroom is available on subscription nor that it is a standalone product.  But the posting does talk about it being a “subscription” product, thus my confusion.  Given that it doesn't carry the nomenclature “CC” it is probably a reasonable assumption to make that it is a stand alone product.

There is a discussion about the other issues I raised about the multiple editions of Photoshop CC on the thread ”Photoshop CC (2014)”.

I guess that Adobe needs to improve its communications to make them clearer and more straightforward.
Title: Re: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: Damon Lynch on June 19, 2014, 06:28:32 am
I'm also pretty confused as to what I should update and what I shouldn't. Like your screenshot, the Creative Cloud App is saying Lightroom both is and is not up-to-date. Very odd! Currently I'm in a country (Tajikistan) with limited bandwidth, and I've had CC updates fail before, so I'm keen to know what to do in this case. Did you run all the updates Simon? If so, what happened? Thanks.
Title: Re: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: fdisilvestro on June 19, 2014, 06:54:07 am
It might be possible that your CC dialogue has not finished updating and that's why it shows both LR up to date and ready for upgrade.

The update to Photoshop CC and Bridge are relatively small, so you should not have any problem

The updates to Photoshop CC (2014) and LR 5.5 are big, since they are the entire applications, which might be problematic in an area with limited bandwidth

The update in LR is basically RAW support for new cameras, nothing else in functionality. The update to Photoshop CC includes camera Raw 8.5 CC, with added functionality (not available to LR).

Regards
Title: Re: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: Damon Lynch on June 19, 2014, 07:18:51 am
Thank you for your comprehensive reply Franscisco!
Title: Re: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: Simon J.A. Simpson on June 19, 2014, 03:25:51 pm
I'm also pretty confused as to what I should update and what I shouldn't. Like your screenshot, the Creative Cloud App is saying Lightroom both is and is not up-to-date. Very odd! Currently I'm in a country (Tajikistan) with limited bandwidth, and I've had CC updates fail before, so I'm keen to know what to do in this case. Did you run all the updates Simon? If so, what happened? Thanks.

Damon.  I haven’t tried it yet as I was awaiting clarification.  When I eventually take the plunge I’ll let you know.  But it looks like you’ve got enough info from above to dive-in yourself ! ;)
Title: Re: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 19, 2014, 03:48:55 pm
...The update to Photoshop CC includes camera Raw 8.5 CC, with added functionality (not available to LR).

Which is what? In a barrage of threads about the new CC, I have yet to see a link to what exactly is new, let alone noteworthy.
Title: Re: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: chez on June 19, 2014, 04:22:49 pm
Which is what? In a barrage of threads about the new CC, I have yet to see a link to what exactly is new, let alone noteworthy.

If you go onto the Adobe site, it spells it out quite clearly. Now to really see how useful these features are, you need to try them out for yourself.
Title: Re: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: dumainew on June 19, 2014, 04:32:57 pm
Is anyone else missing the new 'focus adjustment tool' in the most recent update to PS CC ? It's supposed to be below the 'select color' tool' in Select. Contacted Adobe this morning and neither their on-line chat person or their via telephone person had an answer. One said I had a version too old: the other said it was current. FYI it's 14.2.1. Anyone here less lost then me ?
Richard
Title: Re: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 19, 2014, 04:42:20 pm
If you go onto the Adobe site, it spells it out quite clearly. Now to really see how useful these features are, you need to try them out for yourself.

Yes, I know it must be somewhere. I was more referring to the buzz that such novelties (if any) would create in the photographic community.  You know, when Shadows/Highlights tool was introduced several PS generations ago, it was a revolution. Years after photographers were overdoing it, like any novelty that first goes through a fad phase. Nevertheless, it was earth-shattering and ultimately absolutely useful. The same with HDR, content-aware fill, panoramas, focus stacking, etc. Each new version of PS was bringing something at least buzz-worthy. Not  to mention upgrade-worthy (though most tend to skip a version anyway). If I have to go now to Adobe site to see what's new, it ain't.
Title: Re: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: digitaldog on June 19, 2014, 04:51:53 pm
Yes, I know it must be somewhere. I was more referring to the buzz that such novelties (if any) would create in the photographic community. 
One photographers buzz is another's blues. There are a few really nice features IMHO, free or otherwise. Additions to ACR and control over gradients, and a new out of focus selection tool come to mind.
Title: Re: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: digitaldog on June 19, 2014, 04:54:38 pm
Is anyone else missing the new 'focus adjustment tool' in the most recent update to PS CC ?
Nope, under Select menu, just below Color Range...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z2nyNWdXnQ
Title: Re: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: fdisilvestro on June 19, 2014, 06:05:30 pm
Which is what? In a barrage of threads about the new CC, I have yet to see a link to what exactly is new, let alone noteworthy.

There is now a "brush" option inside the graduated and radial filters where you can trim the shape of it and not be limited to the square or oval.
Title: Re: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: Rick Popham on June 19, 2014, 06:57:16 pm
I re-read the post and it doesn't specifically say that Lightroom is available on subscription nor that it is a standalone product.  But the posting does talk about it being a “subscription” product, thus my confusion.  Given that it doesn't carry the nomenclature “CC” it is probably a reasonable assumption to make that it is a stand alone product.

There is a discussion about the other issues I raised about the multiple editions of Photoshop CC on the thread ”Photoshop CC (2014)”.

I guess that Adobe needs to improve its communications to make them clearer and more straightforward.

I completely agree with your last sentence!  There's some confusion about the way LR is updated, particularly since it can be used as a stand alone product.  For example, I was already using LR 5 when I signed up for the Photography bundle last December.  I never bothered to download LR via the CC subscription since I already had it loaded on my machine.  I've always handled the updates through LR itself, never through the CC app.  So I don't know -- can you update the stand alone LR via the CC app, or is that only for LR being used as part of a subscription?

Photoshop upgrades have always installed as a separate application so this is expected behavior -- or a least it was to be expected with perpetual licenses.  Like some of the other posters here I listened to Adobe justify the subscription move in terms of being free to deliver constant updates when ready instead of keeping to a frantic 12 month upgrade cycle, so I too was a little surprised at the continuation of the frantic 12 month upgrade cycle.  Completely irrational of me, I know.
Title: Re: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: Paul2660 on June 19, 2014, 07:24:00 pm
There is now a "brush" option inside the graduated and radial filters where you can trim the shape of it and not be limited to the square or oval.


Francisco, is this only for ACR?, or did the LR upgrade to 5.5 also get this for the grad filters? 

Thanks
Paul
Title: Re: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: fdisilvestro on June 19, 2014, 07:42:16 pm
Hi, Only for ACR 8.5 CC version. This means that neither ACR 8.5 for CS6 nor LR 5.5 got this
Title: Re: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: Simon J.A. Simpson on June 26, 2014, 04:25:30 am
Interesting.  Now my Creative Cloud menu has decided that it doesn’t want to update Lightroom.  It is no longer listed as an update in waiting.  But Lightroom is still sure it wants to be updated.

 Strange but true.  ;D
Title: Re: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: BobShomler on June 26, 2014, 11:55:10 am
CreativePro posted an article that summarizes "What's New With Photoshop CC 2014"

 http://creativepro.com/article/whats-new-with-photoshop-cc-2014

Automatic Typekit fonts, Rollover font menus, Blur on a path, Blur on an ellipse, Remove soft backgrounds (Focus Mask), Auto-updating comps, Smarter guides, and a few other items.
Title: Re: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: Wayne Fox on June 26, 2014, 02:22:34 pm
In the past LR has always required the normal download and install process to upgrade, despite showing up in the CC menu.  That was the only way I could get it upgraded yesterday.
Title: Re: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: tuthill on June 26, 2014, 02:58:56 pm
Interesting.  Now my Creative Cloud menu has decided that it doesn’t want to update Lightroom.  It is no longer listed as an update in waiting.  But Lightroom is still sure it wants to be updated.

 Strange but true.  ;D

Try logging out and then back in to CC.  That worked for me.
Title: Re: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: Wayne Fox on June 26, 2014, 03:45:09 pm
Sort of ...

What it seems to do is add an adjustment brush that matches the settings of the gradient, or reverses the adjustment of the gradient.  But it is not actually part of the gradient, and once you create it you can’t edit it independently ... there is only one brush and if you make a mistake, you’re best recourse is to clear the brush and start over. .  If you readjust the gradient, the brush changes are unaffected ... I guess that’s the most logical approach anyway.

Overall seems very useful ... but there will still be times when using a regular adjustment brush with matching or offsetting values will allow more control.
Title: Re: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: Simon J.A. Simpson on June 26, 2014, 04:33:55 pm
Try logging out and then back in to CC.  That worked for me.

Nah; it's still convinced that it doesn't want to update Lightroom.  A non-issue really since you can update from the application itself.  It just appeals to my anarchic and peverted sense of humour.

 ;)
Title: Re: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: Rand47 on June 26, 2014, 10:05:04 pm
One photographers buzz is another's blues. There are a few really nice features IMHO, free or otherwise. Additions to ACR and control over gradients, and a new out of focus selection tool come to mind.


Andrew,

I agree re the control over gradients!  I've been anxious to have that.  I'll love it even more when it arrives in LR!

Rand
Title: Re: New Photoshop CC and Lightroom ???
Post by: TipSquirrel on June 27, 2014, 04:29:31 am
I put an extensive list of new Photoshop CC 2014 features here: http://www.tipsquirrel.com/photoshop-2014-new-features-favourites/

There's a video of my favs but below that is a direct lift from the Adobe pre release site.

You have two versions of Photoshop now, a CC and a CC2014, there are some bits missing in 2014 that used the Flash framework (e.g. Oilpaint Filter). This is a new build not an update.

If you can't see the Focus Select it may be that you're using the Photoshop CC rather than Photoshop CC 2014

 Hope this helps :)