Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on June 15, 2014, 10:16:49 am

Title: coloured rocks
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 15, 2014, 10:16:49 am
Comments?

Jeremy
Title: Re: coloured rocks
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 15, 2014, 12:01:31 pm
Painted Hills in Death Valley?
I made several shots there, but couldn't find a composition that worked for me.
This one does work. Nicely balanced.
Title: Re: coloured rocks
Post by: francois on June 15, 2014, 12:21:24 pm
I guess it was called something like Artist's Palette… Lovely colors. It's hard to find a nice composition in that chaotic place. It's one of the best shots I've seen.
Title: Re: coloured rocks
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 15, 2014, 12:54:15 pm
I guess it was called something like Artist's Palette… Lovely colors. It's hard to find a nice composition in that chaotic place. It's one of the best shots I've seen.
Yes, that sounds more like it. I repressed the name because I didn't come back with anything this good.
Title: Re: coloured rocks
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 17, 2014, 02:18:50 pm
Thanks!

Yes, it's the Artist's Palette in Death Valley, getting on for sunset.

Jeremy
Title: Re: coloured rocks
Post by: luxborealis on June 17, 2014, 09:06:29 pm
It's interesting, but only as a "grab shot".
Title: Re: coloured rocks
Post by: James Clark on June 18, 2014, 06:46:19 pm
It's sort of a hard geological oddity to shoot.  The colors are sort of arranged haphazardly but widely along a sort-of horizontal plane, and the surrounding rock is just.. brown. 

I ended up doing a panoramic abstract, and then another shot that took in the whole hillside but with a little foreground interest.  It's a really really cool thing to see, but it seems like one of those places where the "cool factor" is somewhat hard to capture in an image.