Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: PBC on June 13, 2014, 08:01:18 am

Title: Contrast ?
Post by: PBC on June 13, 2014, 08:01:18 am
I have a habit (or worry) with putting too much contrast in my post processing.  This means I am either over doing it, or under doing it when I try and reduce my habit

Can you have a look at these two images and tell me they have gone too far, etc?

Thanks

Phil



Title: Re: Contrast ?
Post by: stamper on June 13, 2014, 08:10:35 am
Imo too much in the second and the first looks fine but a tad underexposed. A judgement depends on the viewer's monitor however.
Title: Re: Contrast ?
Post by: PBC on June 14, 2014, 06:58:59 am
Thanks Stamper; I tend to agree in retrospect.

Made some changes to the two and hopefully these are better now...

Title: Re: Contrast ?
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 14, 2014, 11:44:18 am
Results of your second attempt are mixed: the #2 looks better, #1 is ruined (as it was good, exposure wise, as-is)

Both images in both versions appear oversharpened. The second image appears to have too much clarity applied, which is particularly visible in the water.
Title: Re: Contrast ?
Post by: PBC on June 14, 2014, 12:04:36 pm
Just the feedback I was after.

As I often seem to end up, if I tweak images without stepping back far enough I muck them up - all part of that learning curve.

Now to have another bash but with more care

Again, thanks for the feedback

Phil
Title: Re: Contrast ?
Post by: PBC on June 15, 2014, 05:56:02 am
OK guys; I went right rack to the raw files and redid these from scratch as my original tweaking didn't help.

Appreciate your thoughts if I have got it right this time.

First image is "Lava Skies" and second is "Foot Rock"

Phil
Title: Re: Contrast ?
Post by: stamper on June 15, 2014, 05:57:08 am
Phil you shouldn't try too hard to please others. If you like an image and the applied effects then you should be happy. Pleasing others is a bonus. :)
Title: Re: Contrast ?
Post by: PBC on June 15, 2014, 05:59:35 am
I agree on that, but it is some of the technical aspects of the processing I am trying to get right.  Technical stuff in the field I am OK on, but  moving to Photoshop has knocked my confidence that I am getting it right - or I am "over-enjoying" the flexibility of PS too much. It is here that people's opinions help.

Hope that makes sense :-)

Phil