Luminous Landscape Forum
Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: yaredna on June 10, 2014, 10:44:16 pm
-
Great write up by Michael. Helped me make my mind about this little wonder. Very timely article. Thanks!!
-
All in good fun. ;) You must have missed this part.
-
pedants...
-
Please send typo suggestions in a personal message to the web master: we don't need to know.
-
I have an RX100 and it's the best constant-carry camera I've ever had since the Olympus XA. But as I think about the RX100 III, I remember the sensation I used to describe as "fist in face" when using the XA. It was so compact that when I used it, I sometimes felt like I was slow-motion punching myself in the face. It was odd, not necessarily comfortable... didn't make me want to stop using it, but was distracting, and I was always trying to find better ways to hold the camera. Ended up one-handing it often.
Dunno your hand size versus mine, but does using the viewfinder feel crowded, or is it close enough to normal (whatever that is) that it isn't really an issue?
The focal length difference just happens to be a big improvement for me - I shoot almost nothing over 70-80mm with DSLRs, tons down below 30mm. My biggest complaint about the original RX100 was that I always wanted a bit wider. This is an RX that matches what Lightroom tells me about my preferred focal lengths.
I think my daughter is about to receive a lovely used RX100 (she happens to be more tele focused than I am, so we'll both be happy.)
-
Please send typo suggestions in a personal message to the web master: we don't need to know.
Great point.... the same could be said regarding your post too, right?
-
A very appealing camera. I wonder about this bit of the review:
. The Mark III has another first, a built-in 3 stop ND filter. This is useful primarily for video shooters so that they can work at an appropriate shutter speed. Some stills shooters will like to be able to work at a wide aperture and a slower shutter speed in bright light, and the ND makes this easy.
Is it a first? Doesn't the X100s have a built in ND filter?
-
…the same could be said regarding your post too, right?
That often is true when we make the comment that someone else's comments are unnecessary. It may not be true in this case -- a PM to you could not discourage others from public typo corrections.
-
Refreshing to see a reviewer say "yes, this is a very good piece of kit, but what I have is good enough", instead of the usual "I've got loads of money for gadgets, and I'm such an uber-photographer-nerd that I need to have the latest shiny toy".
-
I think that the dpreview presentation of lens equivalence is getting better:
(http://2.static.img-dpreview.com/previews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100-m3/images/apertures-001.png?v=2869)
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100-m3
("f/1.8" sure sounds better than "equivalent to f/4.9 on 35mm")
While the EVF, 24mm equivalent and improved video are great improvements, I am somewhat disappointed that they did so little to improve the user interface/ergonomy/fun-factor. Yes, it is hard to make a pocket camera feel as intuitive and responsive as a large, heavy DSLR with lost of dedicated buttons, but this is a Japanese mega-company specializing in those kind of things, expecting a large sum of money for their product.
- I don't use the rotating wheel around the lens since it feel awkward. That is a great loss that they ought to have fixed in the 3rd generation.
- Camera _thickness_ is my most important size-limitation (does it fit comfortably in my jeans pocket or not). Almost anything that could make the camera thinner while maintaining IQ has my vote (including ditching the tilting LCD like the mk1)
- My RX100M2 is used almost exclusively as a wide-angle camera. Perhaps the new lens would change this behaviour. If not, I could just as well have a fixed 28mm equivalent f/1.8 for reduced cost/size.
- The menu system screams for a more smart-phone/touch like experience. Nothing flashy, but faster and more intuitive please.
-+/- 0.7 Ev exposure bracketing? In-camera HDR only to JPEG? Come on...
- The NFC/Wifi could actually have been useful occasionally, but I have a really lousy coverage using my Sony Android phone, and the Sony app is rudimentary to the extreme.
- The LCD viewfinder is subject to scratches even though I have been very careful.
- The built-in microphone is sensitive to wind noise.
The bottom line is that the M2 allows surprisingly good pictures in a highly compact package, important enough to me that I am willing to live with certain quirks and a stiff cost. I expect the M3 to further improve that formula.
-h
-
An articulating rear LCD, three-stop ND built-in and full-sensor video make this a very tempting camera for videography.
Lack of any audio input other than the built-in mic kills any hope of such use for even moderately serious production.
Really, Sony?
-
An articulating rear LCD, three-stop ND built-in and full-sensor video make this a very tempting camera for videography.
Lack of any audio input other than the built-in mic kills any hope of such use for even moderately serious production.
Really, Sony?
Perhaps that will come in next years' RX100 1V. :)
Jim
-
An articulating rear LCD, three-stop ND built-in and full-sensor video make this a very tempting camera for videography.
Lack of any audio input other than the built-in mic kills any hope of such use for even moderately serious production.
Really, Sony?
I would think that any moderately serious video production would use an external audio recorder, anyways.