Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Lorenzo Pierucci on June 10, 2014, 12:23:34 pm
-
Hi everybody,
Im looking at a lens for my back 35 mm up system.
As i will use it as back up for my LF plus digital back, I'm not really into spend the money on the Nikon PC, but seems that the Samyang is a ok option as I'm a D800 user.
Reading the forums around seems is better then the Rokinon, but i will love to hear any real worlds hand on from some arch guy ( hopefully not all of u have the Canon TS :D ). I live in Taiwan so rental for such a specific lens is not a option.
Is that Samyang worth a try or i rather go for the PC by Nikon?
Thanks for read this guys!
-
Rokinon IS Samyang I believe. I use it and I find it to be quite usable if you are comfortable using a lens that will not communicate info with the camera.
-
Samyang is the manufacturer. Samyang sells the exact same lenses under its own Samyang label and to distributors under the distributors' labels: Rokinon, Bower, Pro-Optic, Hanimex, Vivitar, and possibly others.
-
The Samyang 24 has decent sharpness and is "good enough" as a backup, but the small knobs displease me greatly. They're ridiculously small and difficult to maneuver.
-
Some people says that it's equally sharp with PC-E but struggles from flare much (true) and has more distortion.
I have Sony mount version and shoot much, see: http://flickr.com/photos/qwz/tags/samyangt-s24
For Sony SLR it's only 24mm option. I think i'll migrate to E-mount and buy Canon TS-E, may be 17mm first.
Anyway, Image quality is nearly excellent over unshifted frame and not more than 6mm shift|rise.
Flare can be problem with sun or strong light sources hitting front lens outside frame.
Distortion can be easily corrected on Capture ONE Pro. Colours are nice but with more green than my other lens (Carl Zeiss, Minolta and Sigma).
Build quality is moderate. After 6 months of use mine copy's infinity focus shifted first beyond Infinity mark and few days after beyond and lens movement.
Local repair fixed it w/o a charge in 9 days.
Also it has two design flaws:
First, they forgot to implement both direction rotation and diagonal shift+rise is possible ONLY for top-right OR bottom-left.
Second, on my Alpha a900 for horizontal frame rise is limited to 10mm 'cause of protruding pentaprism.
-
Rokinon IS Samyang I believe. I use it and I find it to be quite usable if you are comfortable using a lens that will not communicate info with the camera.
im confuse:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samyang-T-S-24mm-F3-5-ED-AS-UMC-tilt-and-shift-Lens-for-Nikon-/130905110234?pt=Obiettivi&hash=item1e7a8d76da&_uhb=1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rokinon-24mm-F3-5-Tilt-Shift-Lens-for-Sony-/351009726083?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item51b9cf5e83
they seems 2 different lens with 2 different price tag too to me. So the lens is actually the same?
-
Some people says that it's equally sharp with PC-E but struggles from flare much (true) and has more distortion.
I have Sony mount version and shoot much, see: http://flickr.com/photos/qwz/tags/samyangt-s24
For Sony SLR it's only 24mm option. I think i'll migrate to E-mount and buy Canon TS-E, may be 17mm first.
Anyway, Image quality is nearly excellent over unshifted frame and not more than 6mm shift|rise.
Flare can be problem with sun or strong light sources hitting front lens outside frame.
Distortion can be easily corrected on Capture ONE Pro. Colours are nice but with more green than my other lens (Carl Zeiss, Minolta and Sigma).
Build quality is moderate. After 6 months of use mine copy's infinity focus shifted first beyond Infinity mark and few days after beyond and lens movement.
Local repair fixed it w/o a charge in 9 days.
Also it has two design flaws:
First, they forgot to implement both direction rotation and diagonal shift+rise is possible ONLY for top-right OR bottom-left.
Second, on my Alpha a900 for horizontal frame rise is limited to 10mm 'cause of protruding pentaprism.
Great thanks. Im worry for this flare. I have the same problem with my "dog" Sigma 12-24, lens flare drag the contrast down way too much compare to nikon equivalent…
-
One thing I like about the canon , it just doesnt flare.
TS lenses are supposed to focus way past infinity.
From lensrentals teardown of the samyang there is little scope for optical adjustment.
-
The first one is for Nikon, new, price in Euro.
Rokino is for Sony, refurbished, price in US dollars.
im confuse:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samyang-T-S-24mm-F3-5-ED-AS-UMC-tilt-and-shift-Lens-for-Nikon-/130905110234?pt=Obiettivi&hash=item1e7a8d76da&_uhb=1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rokinon-24mm-F3-5-Tilt-Shift-Lens-for-Sony-/351009726083?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item51b9cf5e83
they seems 2 different lens with 2 different price tag too to me. So the lens is actually the same?