Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on June 09, 2014, 03:28:24 pm

Title: balancing rock
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 09, 2014, 03:28:24 pm
Not even a smidgin of saturation increase!

Jeremy
Title: Re: balancing rock
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 09, 2014, 05:41:35 pm
Ok, but then the WB must be a bit too warm. Have you checked red channel for clipping?
Title: Re: balancing rock
Post by: David Eckels on June 09, 2014, 08:34:58 pm
Nice shot Jeremy. I have that same shot, but the ladies with us wouldn't let me wait until the light was perfect! I understand and agree with the WB shift. It is already VERY red rock and depending on what was going on to the north west with stuff in the air, I can almost believe the colors. It is a beautiful place.
Title: Re: balancing rock
Post by: PeterAit on June 09, 2014, 09:10:01 pm
Minor point - it is called Balanced Rock.
Title: Re: balancing rock
Post by: francois on June 10, 2014, 06:51:29 am
I like it, it is very luminous but Slobodan has a point regarding WB…
Title: Re: balancing rock
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 10, 2014, 02:36:15 pm
Ok, but then the WB must be a bit too warm. Have you checked red channel for clipping?

I have, and it's nowhere near clipped. OTOH, you may be right. If I use the snow in the background as pure white, the rocks lose most of their colour. I'm not sure that's the right thing to do, but it's certainly an option to get a less surreal appearance.

Jeremy

Title: Re: balancing rock
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 10, 2014, 03:04:48 pm
... If I use the snow in the background as pure white, the rocks lose most of their colour. I'm not sure that's the right thing to do, but it's certainly an option to get a less surreal appearance.

Yes, that way you could achieve the "correct" WB, but it would not be the right thing to do, I agree. The sense of the sunrise/sunset warmth should be preserved. My suggestion was to try to back off just a bit with the temperature slider, just so that the red areas regain a bit more detail and 3-D.
Title: Re: balancing rock
Post by: Johnny_Johnson on June 10, 2014, 03:08:08 pm
As you know from being there, the rocks take on a more and more reddish color as you approach sundown. I certainly wouldn't white balance such that the visual effect went completely away. I haven't looked at it in awhile but I remember my capture at sundown being similar to yours.

Later,
Johnny
Title: Re: balancing rock
Post by: wmchauncey on June 11, 2014, 06:54:58 am
When we first start this ludicrous hobby, having the "perfect" white occupies a lot of PP time. 
Later we learn that it is a flexible beast, subject only to the whims and emotions of our memories.    ;)
Title: Re: balancing rock
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on June 11, 2014, 07:23:44 am
I have, and it's nowhere near clipped.

Sorry, Jeremy, but the image as presented is clipped (see attachment).
Perhaps a profile conversion issue?

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: balancing rock
Post by: muntanela on June 11, 2014, 08:24:56 am
The red is clipped in sRGB, not in Adobe RGB and so on.
Title: Re: balancing rock
Post by: wmchauncey on June 11, 2014, 08:50:30 am
Like has been shown...it very likely was not showing clipping on your monitor but, the very fact of your conversion and displaying for the web will impart an increase in saturation,
as well as a boost toward the right side of the histogram.  Especially true if you go from a ProPhoto color space to a sRGB color space.    ;)
Title: Re: balancing rock
Post by: churly on June 11, 2014, 10:46:58 am
Like has been shown...it very likely was not showing clipping on your monitor but, the very fact of your conversion and displaying for the web will impart an increase in saturation,
as well as a boost toward the right side of the histogram.  Especially true if you go from a ProPhoto color space to a sRGB color space.    ;)

That's interesting and totally consistent with what I have seen with conversion to sRGB from ProPhoto for the web.  Thanks for the reminder.
Chuck
Title: Re: balancing rock
Post by: David Eckels on June 11, 2014, 01:32:06 pm
Like has been shown...it very likely was not showing clipping on your monitor but, the very fact of your conversion and displaying for the web will impart an increase in saturation,
as well as a boost toward the right side of the histogram.  Especially true if you go from a ProPhoto color space to a sRGB color space.    ;)
Like has been shown where? I'd like to study up on this a bit as I have wondered about this as well.
Title: Re: balancing rock
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 11, 2014, 01:39:52 pm
Like has been shown where? I'd like to study up on this a bit as I have wondered about this as well.

I guess in reply #9?

It stands to reason that if you start squeezing a large color space into a smaller one, some colors might start "piercing" the smaller box and would have to be "pruned", i.e., clipped.
Title: Re: balanced rock
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 11, 2014, 02:36:58 pm
Interesting discussion, in particular Bart's analysis. My histogram came from LR, which uses what I understand to be an enormous colour space internally. My LuLa preset has it convert to sRGB, which I imagine must have rather less headroom in the reds.

Here's a version with the colour temperature reduced in LR by 1,600 degrees. It hurts the eyes a bit less, I concede.

Jeremy

PS: Peter, you are of course right.
Title: Re: balancing rock
Post by: wmchauncey on June 11, 2014, 03:00:03 pm
It's not a difficult thing to check...simply set a color checker point, note the colors and do the same after converting to another color space.    ;)