Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: PBC on June 08, 2014, 08:51:04 am

Title: Highland Dawn
Post by: PBC on June 08, 2014, 08:51:04 am
As I continue my learning curve with Photoshop (which I am getting to like now!) I would like some feedback on the post processing of this image; gone too far / not far enough - done wrong, etc.

All suggestions and comments appreciated

Many thanks

Phil
Title: Re: Highland Dawn
Post by: wmchauncey on June 08, 2014, 10:16:39 am
Best be careful my friend...that Photoshop stuff is addictive.   ;D
As to this image, it looks fine as it is...you might put it on your desktop to see if you can live with it over time.
Additionally, bear in mind that Adams never processed a print the same way twice...he made subtle changes as his mood and emotions changed over time.    ;)
Title: Re: Highland Dawn
Post by: RSL on June 08, 2014, 10:18:13 am
+1
Title: Re: Highland Dawn
Post by: Isaac on June 08, 2014, 11:29:28 am
Additionally, bear in mind that Adams never processed a print the same way twice...he made subtle changes as his mood and emotions changed over time.

Do you mean intentional changes, or do you mean the inevitable variations of a manual process?
Title: Re: Highland Dawn
Post by: wmchauncey on June 08, 2014, 12:04:25 pm
According to what I've read, this is but one source (paragraph 5) http://www.aristos.org/whatart/adams.htm  the changes in the images in his later life were intentional. ;)
Title: Re: Highland Dawn
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 08, 2014, 12:24:57 pm
Actually, some of his changes were not even subtle, but quite radical over time, especially when you compare the starting and ending points of several iterations over years. They also tend to go in one direction as well: darker, more contrasty, more dramatic, less "realistic."

About the OP: well done!
Title: Re: Highland Dawn
Post by: Isaac on June 08, 2014, 06:50:29 pm
According to what I've read … the changes in the images in his later life were intentional.

iirc there's a strong suggestion in "Looking at Ansel Adams (http://books.google.com/books?id=SsGMtgAACAAJ)" of changing eyesight rather than changing vision.
Title: Re: Highland Dawn
Post by: PBC on June 09, 2014, 12:41:28 pm
Thanks guys; good to know I am on the right track still

Phil
Title: Re: Highland Dawn
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 09, 2014, 12:46:59 pm
iirc there's a strong suggestion in "Looking at Ansel Adams (http://books.google.com/books?id=SsGMtgAACAAJ)" of changing eyesight rather than changing vision.

I knew AA and I have something in common!  ;)