Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Roberto Frieri on June 06, 2014, 02:49:39 pm

Title: Alone at sunset #1
Post by: Roberto Frieri on June 06, 2014, 02:49:39 pm
Taken some days ago with my Leica X2.
Just printed on Canson Baryta Photographique.
I like it but, what do you think about it?
Title: Re: Alone at sunset #1
Post by: RSL on June 06, 2014, 03:28:32 pm
It might work in a larger format, Roberto, but in this small sample it doesn't. There's no detail in the tree itself, which would be okay if it were a silhouette. But it's not. The light flashing through the leaves comes off as tiny, distracting Christmas-tree-like dots breaking up the silhouette.
Title: Re: Alone at sunset #1
Post by: William Walker on June 06, 2014, 03:29:11 pm
Hey Roberto

I really like your landscapes but there seem to some very solid blacks in the tree and foreground. Very graphic. Is that your intention?

William
Title: Re: Alone at sunset #1
Post by: Roberto Frieri on June 06, 2014, 03:50:28 pm
...There's no detail in the tree itself, which would be okay if it were a silhouette. But it's not. The light flashing through the leaves comes off as tiny, distracting Christmas-tree-like dots breaking up the silhouette.

...there seem to some very solid blacks in the tree and foreground. Very graphic. Is that your intention?

I adjusted the exposure settings to deepen the blacks and boost the contrast between the subject and the sky: in some ways, however, I've tried to reverse and/or intertwine the spatial relationship between them.
Title: Re: Alone at sunset #1
Post by: RSL on June 06, 2014, 04:03:47 pm
I think the size is the key, Roberto. At, say, 17 x 22 the expanded breaks between the leaves probably would eliminate the Christmas-tree-lights effect you get when the image is this small, and the result would be a silhouette, which evidently is what you want.
Title: Re: Alone at sunset #1
Post by: Roberto Frieri on June 06, 2014, 04:15:46 pm
...At, say, 17 x 22...
Well, not with my Epson R2880... but soon I'll have a brand new 3880!  :)
Title: Re: Alone at sunset #1
Post by: RSL on June 06, 2014, 04:55:59 pm
That'll do it. I love mine.
Title: Re: Alone at sunset #1
Post by: sharperstill on June 07, 2014, 03:37:58 am
It might work in a larger format, Roberto, but in this small sample it doesn't. There's no detail in the tree itself, which would be okay if it were a silhouette. But it's not. The light flashing through the leaves comes off as tiny, distracting Christmas-tree-like dots breaking up the silhouette.
Looks like a silhouette to me.
Title: Re: Alone at sunset #1
Post by: Andy Fox on June 15, 2014, 02:54:09 am
I like it. The light seems to sparkle through the leaves.
Title: Re: Alone at sunset #1
Post by: Roberto Frieri on June 16, 2014, 03:39:36 pm
Thank you sharperstill and Andy.