Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: William Walker on June 02, 2014, 04:24:01 am

Title: Greyton Farm
Post by: William Walker on June 02, 2014, 04:24:01 am
Another Western Cape scene. I hope you like it!

William

Title: Re: Greyton Farm
Post by: Tony Jay on June 02, 2014, 04:38:29 am
So beautiful!

Wonderful composition that leads viewers all around this image.
Mouth watering!

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Greyton Farm
Post by: Bruce Cox on June 02, 2014, 09:38:19 am
I like it, but I quibble with the brightest little plant of the bottom center.  There is a fairly bright bush with a vertical stick in it and in the right side of it is a clump that is brighter than anything else in the foreground.  If the brightest part were toned down a bit ...
Title: Re: Greyton Farm
Post by: Roberto Frieri on June 02, 2014, 10:52:36 am
A very nice picture. Many compliments.
Title: Re: Greyton Farm
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 02, 2014, 02:27:32 pm
Great scene and light!

However, there are a couple of things that bother me (hey, I have not mellowed that much ;)). By "bother" I mean I do not exactly know why, nor I know exactly how to address it; it is just a nagging feeling at the moment.

But here we go:

1. Halo between the ridge and the sky... tends to attract immediate attention and, being at the top of image, to lead the eye out too soon. Not sure if it is natural or Clarity induced... however, given that the light apparently comes from the left, it does not seem natural.

2. Gray sky... somehow does not work for me... kind of muddy. Possible solutions: either lighter or less of it, or both... or none.

3. Gentle hills... something is off with the contrast...too low?... loss of detail?... "muddy" comes again to mind (sorry!)

4. The very bottom.... as per Bruce's remark, too contrasty?

Hope my critique is not too contrasty (i.e., harsh)  ;)
Title: Re: Greyton Farm
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 02, 2014, 02:31:08 pm
I like the composition very much, but like Slobodan, I found "muddy" was the first word that came to mind when considering the tonalities. I suspect you could address it.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Greyton Farm
Post by: armand on June 02, 2014, 08:36:09 pm
Great shot, I love it!
You can do all those things mentioned in the previous posts but I don't think will make that much better.
Title: Re: Greyton Farm
Post by: William Walker on June 04, 2014, 03:18:41 am
Thanks again to everyone! Points taken, progress made.

William
Title: Re: Greyton Farm
Post by: stamper on June 04, 2014, 04:59:24 am
A winner William. I try not to look for "perfection" so no quibbles from me. :)
Title: Re: Greyton Farm
Post by: William Walker on June 04, 2014, 06:23:56 am
A winner William.

I'll file that away safely Stamper! A rare treat....:)

Title: Re: Greyton Farm
Post by: RSL on June 05, 2014, 05:29:59 pm
I'm with Stamper, William. There's nothing "muddy" about it. There are proper blacks and whites in the foreground, and the hill behind is in the distance, so its intensity is somewhat softened -- just as it should be. The farmhouse is what makes the picture. Very nice.
Title: Re: Greyton Farm
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 05, 2014, 07:21:25 pm
Slobodan is always perceptive and usually right, but this time I side with Stamper and Russ.
Title: Re: Greyton Farm
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on June 07, 2014, 02:52:29 am
So beautiful!

Wonderful composition that leads viewers all around this image.
Mouth watering!

Tony Jay

Indeed!