Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Mjollnir on June 01, 2014, 02:38:50 pm

Title: Experiment in over exposure
Post by: Mjollnir on June 01, 2014, 02:38:50 pm
I was trying to see how far I could push exposure in a new camera before highlights clipped, and ended up with something that (to me) brings to mind a pastel from a book for children.

It was screaming noon day light in an oak forest NE of Fresno.  Not sure if I like it or it might prove useful in other situations.

(https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2898/14111348788_c5961fd42f_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/nuYmn3)North Fork Road, 3rd Day of Spring #2 (https://flic.kr/p/nuYmn3) by tanngrisnir3 (https://www.flickr.com/people/87368247@N00/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Experiment in over exposure
Post by: Bruce Cox on June 01, 2014, 03:45:17 pm
I like the brightness, but the sides and bottom seem less compelling than the top middle.
Title: Re: Experiment in over exposure
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 01, 2014, 03:52:35 pm
... the sides and bottom seem less compelling than the top middle.

-1

(or whatever sign is there to mean my view is exactly the opposite)  ;)
Title: Re: Experiment in over exposure
Post by: Telecaster on June 01, 2014, 04:00:18 pm
I like it. I'd like to see more rule-breaking in landscape photography in general. IMO the pursuit of technical perfection often, even usually, leads to an off-putting sterility in the end product. Photos that take the interpretive & abstract nature of photography and shove it right in your face are, I think, a Good Thing.   :)

-Dave-
Title: Re: Experiment in over exposure
Post by: Bruce Cox on June 01, 2014, 04:31:57 pm
Or maybe I am just developing tunnel vision, because my camera woun't zoom anymore. 

I need to remember there are other ways to shoot.
Title: Re: Experiment in over exposure
Post by: Mjollnir on June 01, 2014, 04:59:23 pm
Thanks for the comments, guys.

It's the same with music.  I don't want to sound like everyone else, so I try and play around w/different ideas/techniques.

I might crop a bit on the bottom, but I like the effect of the flowers.

Decisions, decisions....
Title: Re: Experiment in over exposure
Post by: luxborealis on June 01, 2014, 07:30:07 pm
Wow - this "works". What a feeling of light, without it feeling apocalyptic. Great to see such success with breaking the "rules".

Did you push the exposure in camera or in PP?
Title: Re: Experiment in over exposure
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 02, 2014, 03:45:32 am
What a fascinating image. I think everything about it works, with the exception of the middle fifth or so, where there's a band of apparently featureless white. The effect on the grass and flowers is lovely.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Experiment in over exposure
Post by: Mjollnir on June 02, 2014, 09:26:47 am
Wow - this "works". What a feeling of light, without it feeling apocalyptic. Great to see such success with breaking the "rules".

Did you push the exposure in camera or in PP?

Thanks!

The effect was created mostly by using a 25mm 1.4 lens, wide open, and then cranking exposure waaaay over to the right.

I'm actually going to have to check to see what I did in PP, but there was some tweaking.
Title: Re: Experiment in over exposure
Post by: Roberto Frieri on June 02, 2014, 10:48:21 am
Interesting. Thank you for sharing the result and the idea behind it.