Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Mac Mahon on May 23, 2014, 06:49:25 pm

Title: Finding Printed Files in Lightroom Catalog
Post by: Mac Mahon on May 23, 2014, 06:49:25 pm
For reasons unknown - probably increasing age and decreasing competence - over the years, I have printed images from LR but not either made a TIFF copy of the final image, nor clicked 'create saved print'.  I know, daft!

Occasionally I've been asked to make reprints of photos (of which there may have been many VCs reflecting different editing steps).  Finding the printed version has not always been easy!

Does anyone know of a way of searching the catalog for files whose xml history includes the 'Print' command?

Thanks


Tim

Title: Re: Finding Printed Files in Lightroom Catalog
Post by: john beardsworth on May 23, 2014, 11:33:17 pm
No, there's no way to do this.
Title: Re: Finding Printed Files in Lightroom Catalog
Post by: areohbee on May 24, 2014, 12:23:09 am
Yes - SQLiteroom has a preset named 'Printed Images'. If you enable it for startup, and disable all the rest (if not interested in other things), save bat file, then use it to startup Lightroom, it will create/refresh a collection of printed images each time you open Lightroom.

http://www.robcole.com/Rob/ProductsAndServices/SQLiteroomLrPlugin
Title: Re: Finding Printed Files in Lightroom Catalog
Post by: john beardsworth on May 24, 2014, 01:12:55 am
Is nowhere free from this character?
Title: Re: Finding Printed Files in Lightroom Catalog
Post by: areohbee on May 24, 2014, 01:16:26 am
F - y o u   J o h n   ::)
Title: Re: Finding Printed Files in Lightroom Catalog
Post by: john beardsworth on May 24, 2014, 01:18:18 am
F u c k   y o u   J o h n   ::)

And this is exactly why.....
Title: Re: Finding Printed Files in Lightroom Catalog
Post by: areohbee on May 24, 2014, 01:19:27 am
My " F - y o u s " came after you giving me an undeservedly bad time, repeatedly...
Title: Re: Finding Printed Files in Lightroom Catalog
Post by: john beardsworth on May 24, 2014, 01:25:21 am
Really? Sadly your series of similarly abusive PMs on Adobe's web site are no longer available, but I reckon I've a screenshot I could post if anyone doubts me. Until this morning this place was a blessed relief from you!
Title: Re: Finding Printed Files in Lightroom Catalog
Post by: Schewe on May 24, 2014, 01:29:44 am
F ***   y o u   J o h n   ::)

I guess you missed the threads where fully spelled out profanity is not allowed on LuLa...you have a choice, edit your post (before a moderator does), go away and don't come back or get banned...

Not for nothing, but newbies should get the lay of the land and the nature of the forums before stinking it up. Your time here is not likely to be very long if you keep this up.

(post reported to a moderator)
Title: Re: Finding Printed Files in Lightroom Catalog
Post by: areohbee on May 24, 2014, 01:31:15 am
Quote
Really?

Yeah really - don't start nuthin' and there won't be nuthin'.

Why don't we take this thread as an example.

OP asked if there was a way to do something, I posted a way to do what he wanted.

You made an offensive remark.

Simple as that.

Rob
Title: Re: Finding Printed Files in Lightroom Catalog
Post by: areohbee on May 24, 2014, 01:33:36 am
I'd like to point out who started making smelly remarks in this thread. Hint: it wasn't me.
Title: Re: Finding Printed Files in Lightroom Catalog
Post by: Schewe on May 24, 2014, 01:37:03 am
I'd like to point out who started making smelly remarks in this thread. Hint: it wasn't me.

Makes no difference, you started escalating by typing profanity–which in not allowed here. Fix it, get out or get banned. Simple as that.

BTW, if you don't have the vocabulary to engage in verbal debate without resorting to profanity, you are not welcome here...get it? Clean it up or get out.

BTW-2, John is a respected member of LuLa and has posted a lot over the years to actually help people. You? Not so much.
Title: Re: Finding Printed Files in Lightroom Catalog
Post by: areohbee on May 24, 2014, 01:41:25 am
To other members of this forum: I get along fantastically and easily with almost all members in all the many forums I participate in.

John Beardy and Jeff Schewe however are constantly on my back, so we don't get along so well. I don't start the fights, but I've also lost patience with the abuse which they *always* initiate against me.

Rob
Title: Re: Finding Printed Files in Lightroom Catalog
Post by: Schewe on May 24, 2014, 01:58:49 am
Well, let's see...John has over 2500 posts here on LuLa and you have 7?

Of those 7, two have links to your products, and the other 5 spent arguing.

Rob, if you bring this attitude here, you aren't going to be a useful member of LuLa.
Title: Re: Finding Printed Files in Lightroom Catalog
Post by: areohbee on May 24, 2014, 02:09:52 am
The reason I initially responded in this thread is I received an email from one of your forum members who said something like:

"Somebody is having a problem which I think one of your plugins would solve - perhaps you could go there and help him or her out..".

I was not "looking for a place to advertise" - if you think that, then you think wrong.

I have hundreds of Lightroom plugins which I have created for no reason other than to help solve various problems people encounter when using Lightroom, or to streamline/automate even if no specific "problem". It should be no surprise that I frequently "help" by informing of my plugin-assisted solutions. I also frequently express helpful ideas which would not involve plugins. And I also inform of plugins written by other authors...

PS - I offer all plugins I've written to the community free of charge (with source code) - they are not commercial products.

To be clear: I am not the one bringing the attitude here. Granted, I feel attacked, and am, to some extent, defending myself.

Rob

Title: Re: Finding Printed Files in Lightroom Catalog
Post by: john beardsworth on May 24, 2014, 02:15:02 am
To other members of this forum: I get along fantastically and easily with almost all members in all the many forums I participate in.

John Beardy and Jeff Schewe however are constantly on my back, so we don't get along so well. I don't start the fights, but I've also lost patience with the abuse which they *always* initiate against me.

No, people are not constantly on your back - I'm one of a few who tries really hard to avoid threads where you have already participated! As for abuse, I certainly do use words like "misleading", "distraction", "rambling on", or "babbling" when I point out you are giving poor advice.
Title: Re: Finding Printed Files in Lightroom Catalog
Post by: Schewe on May 24, 2014, 02:16:25 am
I have hundreds of Lightroom plugins which I have created for no reason other than to help solve various problems people encounter when using Lightroom, or to streamline/automate even if no specific "problem". It should be no surprise that I frequently "help" by informing of my plugin-assisted solutions. I also frequently express helpful ideas which would not involve plugins. And I also inform of plugins written by other authors...

And so far, your posts here don't indicate that...what they indicate is you are short fused with little discipline...if you want to be a useful member of LuLa, you are welcome...try posting some stuff other than links or arguments. I know you can do that because you're a useful member of the Adobe Lightroom Forum...and no profanity.
Title: Re: Finding Printed Files in Lightroom Catalog
Post by: john beardsworth on May 24, 2014, 02:17:44 am
Well, let's see...John has over 2500 posts here on LuLa and you have 7?

Judging by his record at Adobe's forums, I give him a couple of months to catch up!
Title: Re: Finding Printed Files in Lightroom Catalog
Post by: areohbee on May 24, 2014, 02:25:12 am
I promise you - if you don't give me a bad time, I won't give you one.

I also promise you: I will discuss whatever solutions I know of, as I see fit, whether they be plugins I've written, or not, and whether you like it, or not.
Title: Re: Finding Printed Files in Lightroom Catalog
Post by: Schewe on May 24, 2014, 02:37:15 am
I promise you - if you don't give me a bad time, I won't give you one.

There are lines here and you've already crossed one (kudos for editing you post–sadly, it was already captured in quotes). LuLa encourages lively debate but draws the line on certain types of posts. For homework, I suggest reading this thread: On Language (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=89952.0) (closed because, well, it went out of bounds).

Quote
I also promise you: I will discuss whatever solutions I know of, as I see fit, whether they be plugins I've written, or not, and whether you like it, or not.

Then I suggest you do so and make some posts that are not disagreeable and are helpful to the forum users...actions speak louder than words (but words can still get you into trouble).
Title: Re: Finding Printed Files in Lightroom Catalog
Post by: dennbel on May 24, 2014, 05:15:28 pm
My goodness. What an explosion.  Other than the posts back and forth about character etc., does the plugin work and solve the OP's question/dilemma?
Title: Re: Finding Printed Files in Lightroom Catalog
Post by: stormyboy on May 24, 2014, 08:28:12 pm
does the plugin work and solve the OP's question/dilemma?

I'm experimenting with Rob's SQLiteroom which puts the printed photos into a collection.  Then I use John's ListView which allows viewing and outputting of that collection information.  I haven't checked the accuracy of the selection yet.  A collection was created containing 3173 photos out of my 43155 total.  I'll report again when I have time to verify things.  Looks promising!

Tom
Title: Re: Finding Printed Files in Lightroom Catalog
Post by: stormyboy on May 24, 2014, 09:29:14 pm
  I'll report again when I have time to verify things.  Looks promising!

Tom

Ok, I checked a random folder of 333 files, and SQLiteroom correctly identified the 23 photos I had printed.   I checked the history file of each of the 333 files to verify.
Title: Re: Finding Printed Files in Lightroom Catalog
Post by: Mac Mahon on May 25, 2014, 04:21:13 pm
Thanks Rob for the suggestion and Tom for the research.

Looks promising, I'll try it with  a backup of my catalog.

Cheers

Tim