Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Kevin Gallagher on May 23, 2014, 08:33:03 am
-
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has had experience with renting a sat phone for a trip. My wife & I are planning a trip to Utah for this Fall and it occurs to me that there are some pretty wide open and lonely spots where there would be no traditional cell service. I'm not looking to just idly chit chat but thinking more in terms of vehicle breakdowns etc. I was able to find several companies that offer rentals but just wondering if any here have had experience (good or bad) doing this before.
Thanks, Kevin in CT
-
I rented one when going to the Galapagos and it worked out fine. Can't recall who I rented it from, I can check. If you don't make the calls, the actual rental wasn't bad and worth the peace of mind.
-
Another option is to go with a SPOT emergency locator. They have a vehicle breakdown option that sends a notification via satellite.
I have carried the SPOT locator extensively while working in remote areas over the years and if you're not in a hurry to get your location sent out (it can take about 20 minutes sometimes), it's a cheap and lightweight alternative to satellite phones.
I have regularly used the [OK] function to send a "I'm OK message" and my location to my wife at the end of the day. It's a pretty slick system.
Google "SPOT Satellite Messenger" to get their website, it's a Globalstar subsidiary.