Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: orc73 on May 15, 2014, 10:51:23 am

Title: 50mm on Hasselblad
Post by: orc73 on May 15, 2014, 10:51:23 am
Hi there

who was able to check the different 50mm options on Hasselblad?

50mm HC
50mm HC v2
50-110mm HC
35-90mm HCD

Which do you consider the best 50mm in terms of sharpness, contrast and rendering among them? Which of the zooms you consider better at that focal length at F5.6(which will probably be fully open on the HCD)
I do like to use the lenses as open as possible to achieve shallow depth of field. So I don't really care to much on how they compare on F11, or at least not primarily.

I hope somebody can help out on that :)

best regards
Title: Re: 50mm on Hasselblad
Post by: jerome_m on May 15, 2014, 01:33:11 pm
I tried the 50mm HC v2, but have not compared it to any of the other. It is an extremely sharp lens corner to corner on the 50 mpix sensor. Bokeh is somewhat disappointing for a MF lens wide open, however. Nothing catastrophic and one does not really use a 50mm for bokeh effect anyway.
Title: Re: 50mm on Hasselblad
Post by: orc73 on May 15, 2014, 04:08:52 pm
Thanks jerome! With sharp across the frame you mean wide open already?
Title: Re: 50mm on Hasselblad
Post by: jerome_m on May 15, 2014, 04:56:41 pm
Yes, wide open at f/3.5. Download this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jerome_munich/10388259676/sizes/o/ (https://www.flickr.com/photos/jerome_munich/10388259676/sizes/o/)

It is the 50 mpix version of this:

(https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3742/10388259676_84ecb6a700.jpg)

I tilt the horizon so that I have some subject corner to corner.