Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: KevinGSaunders on May 09, 2014, 07:24:04 pm

Title: Protecting Aptus ll 12 in the field
Post by: KevinGSaunders on May 09, 2014, 07:24:04 pm
I am doing a project that will have me in the oilfields with my Arca RM3Di and Aptus ll 12R. I wonder how you landscape folks deal with dust, dirt and heat when out in the boonies.

Has anyone used anything that could act as a sun shade and air filter?

Thank you so much for your thoughts.

Best,

Kevin
Title: Re: Protecting Aptus ll 12 in the field
Post by: pixjohn on May 10, 2014, 12:40:45 am
I use a small black flag to cover the lens and camera from the sun. I have never had any problems with dirt getting into my camera back. I guess you could take a piece of foam from an AC filter and place it over the fan?
Title: Re: Protecting Aptus ll 12 in the field
Post by: Martin Kristiansen on May 10, 2014, 07:43:22 am
I use my 12R a great deal out in the field. Always on a Cambo rail. I carry an umbrellas for the hot days. A portable sunshade for the camera and myself. Cold days, well no idea really. I regard anything below 10 C as extreme.

The R is great in the field on a rail camera. Saves having to remove the back to swop between vertical and horizontal.

The camera and back with lenses pretty much lives in a very large lowpro backpack type camera bag. The entire rig with tripod is about 24kg. Not sure I am prepared to carry much more stuff even if it does aid in protection for the gear.