Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Willow Photography on May 08, 2014, 11:46:59 am

Title: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: Willow Photography on May 08, 2014, 11:46:59 am
Hasselblad has a very nice promo for their H5D40.
€8300.

I was just about to by a used one.
Looks as I will buy a new one in stead. ;-)
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: Ken R on May 08, 2014, 11:56:02 am
Looks like THEY (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hasselblad-H5D-40-Digital-SLR-Camera-with-80mm-Lens-/190961222917) did not get the memo.

Looks like CI has not updated their listing as well HERE (https://captureintegration.com/product/hasselblad-h5d-40-hasselblad-mount/)

I guess Hasselblad felt the pressure from the upcoming 645z but I suspect mainly from the PhaseOne deals on the DF+ and Credo 40 and IQ140. Some of those deals include the SK 80mm lens.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: Go Go on May 08, 2014, 12:25:42 pm
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=893188&gclid=CInynaWXm74CFa19OgodTmMAqQ&is=REG&Q=&A=details

Apparently B&H has the special pricing too.

Leica S is offering special pricing for a trade in as well.

Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: jerome_m on May 08, 2014, 01:03:14 pm
I was just about to by a used one.
Looks as I will buy a new one in stead. ;-)

Or get the price of the used one reduced.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: Steve Hendrix on May 08, 2014, 02:07:31 pm
Looks like THEY (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hasselblad-H5D-40-Digital-SLR-Camera-with-80mm-Lens-/190961222917) did not get the memo.

Looks like CI has not updated their listing as well HERE (https://captureintegration.com/product/hasselblad-h5d-40-hasselblad-mount/)

I guess Hasselblad felt the pressure from the upcoming 645z but I suspect mainly from the PhaseOne deals on the DF+ and Credo 40 and IQ140. Some of those deals include the SK 80mm lens.


 Hi Ken, I can't speak for Samys, but the H5D-40 referenced from your link was sold recently. Just hadn't updated the store link yet, but now it has been. I would imagine Samys still has theirs!  :D


Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 08, 2014, 02:44:26 pm
That is about 11500 $US

Best regards
Erik

Hasselblad has a very nice promo for their H5D40.
€8300.

I was just about to by a used one.
Looks as I will buy a new one in stead. ;-)

Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: Steve Hendrix on May 08, 2014, 03:42:58 pm
That is about 11500 $US

Best regards
Erik



It doesn't exactly work like that.

You can't just take a Euro price conversion and presto that is the US selling price. There are additional taxes, fees, and sometimes the native importer adds his own "fees". In the US it is $12,995.


Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration


Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: gazwas on May 08, 2014, 04:10:25 pm
Its wonderful how the MF companies suddenly make you uber expensive digital camera loose half its value in the drop of an email.

H5D-40 (no lens) was £12,255 GBP in the UK Hasselblad store. €8,300 EUR equates to £6,787 by my workings. :o

I'm not sure how that would make me feel if I'd bought and H5D-40 in the last 12 months.  :'(

I'm very tempted by this offer rather than waiting for the next big Canon to arrive but I can't help feeling that while its great for new users, we'll all end up tomorrows losers.......
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: eronald on May 08, 2014, 04:26:37 pm
What exactly is the difference between the H5D40 and H4D40?
The price was already lowered for the H4D40 and then went back up for the H5D.

Edmund
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: Steve Hendrix on May 08, 2014, 04:53:15 pm
What exactly is the difference between the H5D40 and H4D40?
The price was already lowered for the H4D40 and then went back up for the H5D.

Edmund

https://captureintegration.com/top-10-things-i-love-about-the-hasselblad-h-system/

# 9 on the list.


Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: gazwas on May 08, 2014, 04:55:38 pm
What exactly is the difference between the H5D40 and H4D40?

The colour I think.  ;)
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: eronald on May 08, 2014, 05:07:01 pm
https://captureintegration.com/top-10-things-i-love-about-the-hasselblad-h-system/

# 9 on the list.


Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Are any of these provided by the new firmware?
And - hasn't the mirror slap changed?

Edmund
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: Steve Hendrix on May 08, 2014, 05:13:07 pm
Are any of these provided by the new firmware?
And - hasn't the mirror slap changed?

Edmund


You mean like, for an H4D? No. Most of the changes are physical - it is difficult to update the security of the CF Door with firmware. Sorry, couldn't resist that!


Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: eronald on May 08, 2014, 05:43:47 pm

You mean like, for an H4D? No. Most of the changes are physical - it is difficult to update the security of the CF Door with firmware. Sorry, couldn't resist that!


Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Steve,

 Is the mirror slap alleviated on the H5D?
 Is True Focus II a firmware upgrade on the H4 series?

Edmund
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: Steve Hendrix on May 08, 2014, 06:21:19 pm
Steve,

 Is the mirror slap alleviated on the H5D?
 Is True Focus II a firmware upgrade on the H4 series?

Edmund


Any change in mirror action is not indicated in the H5D feature list, so doubtful (nor have I noticed any significant difference). I don't believe Focus-II is a firmware upgrade for H4, but I will double check this.


Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: eronald on May 09, 2014, 06:14:23 am

Any change in mirror action is not indicated in the H5D feature list, so doubtful (nor have I noticed any significant difference). I don't believe Focus-II is a firmware upgrade for H4, but I will double check this.


Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Some user here had reported a mirror slap improvement - I wondered whether it was real or just starry-eyed delight with the new baby :)

Edmund
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: Ken R on May 09, 2014, 08:59:01 am
THIS (https://digitaltransitions.com/blog/dt-blog/pre-owned-iq140-kit-promo) promo is also going on as well. So lot's of deals available. It's no secret that of all the backs the Phase IQ's are my fav.  ;D
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: Gel on May 09, 2014, 01:01:52 pm
From what I know the changes in the H5 from the H4 are you can remove the back without removing the viewfinder and the rear screen is a lot better.

Not perfect, just better.

I'm sure there's other improvements. But it's real interesting to see this happen.

One sensor to rule them all....
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: tjv on May 09, 2014, 08:56:23 pm
Steve,
Any reason there is no direct link to the Hasselblad product page via the drop down menus on the CI web page? I went searching and it took me ages to figure out you even sold new Hasselblad products.
TJV
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: The View on May 09, 2014, 09:26:49 pm
And there are 50% savings on some Hasselblad lenses...
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 10, 2014, 02:55:02 am
Hi Steve,

I would recall that some one at CI has tested mirror slap on the Hasselblad H series and found it was a non issue? Something like last year.

Anyway, with mirror slap it is clearly the case that less is more!

Best regards
Erik


Any change in mirror action is not indicated in the H5D feature list, so doubtful (nor have I noticed any significant difference). I don't believe Focus-II is a firmware upgrade for H4, but I will double check this.


Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: Willow Photography on May 10, 2014, 04:05:24 am
And there are 50% savings on some Hasselblad lenses...

Where is that stated?
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: MrSmith on May 10, 2014, 04:21:00 am
UK price is £7695 plus vat (20%)

FTFY.
I was hoping that was inc Vat, then I might have been tempted.
I'm also wondering if the phase one 40mp refurbs are actually refurbs or like a lot of apple refurbs just stock that is about to be superceded that they want to clear.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: MrSmith on May 10, 2014, 06:02:37 am
But high net worth individuals may not be  ::) but you probably just buy it through one of your companies or are wealthy enough not to care.
Be interesting to know the breakdown of customers. Working pro's vat registered/institutions and industry/ amateur.
 Looking at their marketing the wealthy amateur and aspirational/vanity/Veblen goods sector is a growing market. Why else would you align yourself with other luxury items? I see hassleblad are now official imaging partner of Aston Martin, what happened to Ferrari? Are they just a bit gauche/footballers wives now?
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: MrSmith on May 10, 2014, 08:55:53 am
without them there would be a much smaller camera industry, very high prices and less choice.
god bless the wealthy amateur  ;D
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: Steve Hendrix on May 10, 2014, 02:35:34 pm
From what I know the changes in the H5 from the H4 are you can remove the back without removing the viewfinder and the rear screen is a lot better.

Not perfect, just better.

I'm sure there's other improvements. But it's real interesting to see this happen.

One sensor to rule them all....


The LCD screen is the same resolution on the H4D and H5D.


Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: Steve Hendrix on May 10, 2014, 02:40:49 pm
Hi Steve,

I would recall that some one at CI has tested mirror slap on the Hasselblad H series and found it was a non issue? Something like last year.

Anyway, with mirror slap it is clearly the case that less is more!

Best regards
Erik



I did a test that was somewhat flawed or incomplete in that there should have been included a shutter speed in the 1/8th - 1/30th second range (in addition to the 2 seconds and 1/125th).

https://captureintegration.com/a-look-in-the-mirror-slap-contax-vs-hasselblad-h/

Some day maybe I'll re-visit with slower shutter speeds but I think there's still enough takeaway to conclude the mirror slap issue may be somewhat overstated.

But I never used the term "non-issue". Mirrors are an issue for everyone - and there's positives and negatives involved.


Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 10, 2014, 02:56:19 pm
Steve,

Thanks, memory has failed me! I was a bit impressed by your findings at the time.

Best regards
Erik


I did a test that was somewhat flawed or incomplete in that there should have been included a shutter speed in the 1/8th - 1/30th second range (in addition to the 2 seconds and 1/125th).

https://captureintegration.com/a-look-in-the-mirror-slap-contax-vs-hasselblad-h/

Some day maybe I'll re-visit with slower shutter speeds but I think there's still enough takeaway to conclude the mirror slap issue may be somewhat overstated.

But I never used the term "non-issue". Mirrors are an issue for everyone - and there's positives and negatives involved.


Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: The View on May 10, 2014, 07:42:44 pm
Where is that stated?

Bhphotovideo.com's page of the Hasselblad special.

There's a ling that leads to a pop-up with a selection of 4 to 5 lenses that are 50% off.

Because it's a pop-up, there is no way to link to it.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: JV on May 10, 2014, 09:22:30 pm
It is easy to overlook the link.  For people who don't immediately see it it is under the In Stock indication.

Good prices: 150mm ($2,050), 120mm ($2,745), 210mm ($2,310) and 100mm ($2,130)
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: Chris Livsey on May 11, 2014, 03:33:32 am
Yup.

Hasselblad always quotes prices ex. VAT. Perhaps they presume that anyone who can afford their cameras is likely to be VAT registered?

Enterprising UK dealers are selling just below the magic  £9,0000 (with VAT it is £9234) £8,9999  ;D
So they think the VAT inclusive price matters.


http://www.dalephotographic.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/DalePhotographicOnline/_H5D40specialoffer/142365/Hasselblad%20H5D%2D40%20camera%20body%20

(No comercial connection)
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: MrSmith on May 11, 2014, 06:36:03 am
£8999 is £10798.80 inc vat    ???
which is also the price for a refurb iq140 plus df+ and leaf shutter 80mm
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: gazwas on May 11, 2014, 07:14:31 am
£8,999 is inc VAT so £7499 exc VAT.

What I fail to understand is why €8,300 (£6,800) ends up as £7499 when it comes from a dealer?

£700 worth of duty, currency conversion and shipping costs....... Really?

Why advertise €8,300 if its not?  ??? ???
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: MrSmith on May 11, 2014, 07:46:38 am
bit of confusion here. where is it for sale at £8999 inc vat? (£7499 ex vat)
euro countries all have their vat margins, usually 19-21%
i thought MFD prices are consistent across the eu give or take a few %?
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: gazwas on May 11, 2014, 07:57:48 am
As linked to above, Dale Photographic.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: MrSmith on May 11, 2014, 08:11:10 am
thanks, out of stock but i expect they will honour that price (slightly cheaper than the official U.K. distributor/dealer price.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: gazwas on May 11, 2014, 08:30:21 am
thanks, out of stock but i expect they will honour that price (slightly cheaper than the official U.K. distributor/dealer price.

Dale and I expect most dealers won't carry stock of this value and low turnover and will all come direct from HB UK. Dealers usually have demo units but not normally new stock on shelves.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: Chris Livsey on May 11, 2014, 10:57:12 am
£8999 is £10798.80 inc vat    ???
which is also the price for a refurb iq140 plus df+ and leaf shutter 80mm

The dealer (Dale) I quoted at £8999 is the VAT inclusive price. I presume they have, as I say above but obviously not clearly enough, slightly discounted the Hasselblad advertised price which when VAT is added becomes £9234.
Does that clarify?

My point being they at least consider that the VAT inclusive price is important for customers.

Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: Chris Livsey on May 11, 2014, 11:04:01 am
£8,999 is inc VAT so £7499 exc VAT.

What I fail to understand is why €8,300 (£6,800) ends up as £7499 when it comes from a dealer?

£700 worth of duty, currency conversion and shipping costs....... Really?

Why advertise €8,300 if its not?  ??? ???

They (Hasselblad) are advertising it at £7695 ex VAT on the .co.uk web site. Which site lists that Euro price?

http://www.hasselblad.co.uk/promotions/h5d-40-promo.aspx

Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: gazwas on May 11, 2014, 01:34:24 pm
They (Hasselblad) are advertising it at £7695 ex VAT on the .co.uk web site. Which site lists that Euro price?

http://www.hasselblad.co.uk/promotions/h5d-40-promo.aspx



It was on the UK site as €8,300 but it looks like that has now been changed. I'd imagine you'd be able to negotiate a little discount if the official price is actually €8,300 (£6,800 GBP).
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: Chris Livsey on May 11, 2014, 02:16:48 pm
It was on the UK site as €8,300 but it looks like that has now been changed. I'd imagine you'd be able to negotiate a little discount if the official price is actually €8,300 (£6,800 GBP).

Well, after stopping the browser declaring where I am, I find all the other countries on the Hasselblad list, including Japan  ::) have that Euro price. So the UK is "special". Not only that but the price before the reduction is lower everywhere other than the UK. If I was a real customer I would be asking Hasselblad UK some serious questions or simply buying from another EU country. The difference is not small change it's nearly another £1,000.

Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: gazwas on May 11, 2014, 03:48:48 pm
Yes, exactly what I thought.

Phase does the same so not unique to HB. When I wanted to upgrade to an IQ260 from my P65+ the US were selling at £8,500 to upgrade. UK price I was quoted was just under £13,000...... £4500 difference!!

I was told it was an error in the pricing but I know some people got backs at this price and continued to do for a short while for early adopters.

Needless to say, Phase lost me as a customer as their prices seemed so fictional. £1000 is just change compared to P1.

EDIT: While the EUR to GBP is £1000 out, some of that will be import duty, shipping and currency conversion but I still think the UK price is £500-£600 out.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: paul ross jones on May 11, 2014, 04:56:43 pm
just saw this-

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/oh-gosh-hasselblad-in-trouble/
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: Chris Livsey on May 12, 2014, 01:56:29 pm
Yes, exactly what I thought.


EDIT: While the EUR to GBP is £1000 out, some of that will be import duty, shipping and currency conversion but I still think the UK price is £500-£600 out.

But they ship to all those other countries, pay any import taxes, and in EU ours must = Spain,Germany etc convert currency in Japan and Brazil and still quote the same Euro price there! Only the UK is out of line.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS on May 12, 2014, 03:46:43 pm
Edmund,

Is the mirror slap alleviated on the H5D?
Hasselblad added a custom option "Extra Mirror Delay" a number of years ago where the users could program the mirror delay to reduce or eliminate mirror vibration. The options are None, 25, 50 Default, 100 and 200 ms.  Custom option #30 on an H4D.

Is True Focus II a firmware upgrade on the H4 series?
True Focus II is dedicated to the H5D system.

Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS on May 12, 2014, 04:59:44 pm
What exactly is the difference between the H5D40 and H4D40?
Edmund

Here are a few items to start….

- True Focus II
- Immediate Focus Confirm on digital back
- Print ready Jpeg files
- New compressed multi-shot RAW files for faster and smoother workflow
- Camera Configurator - User can create custom Profiles in Phocus and upload to H5D
- Updated Graphics User Interface on back
- Programmable buttons P1 and P2 added to the digital magazine
- New and improved weather sealing

Hardware
- The dual locking mechanism remains. The top back release has been relocated to the right to allow the removal of the digital back while the viewfinder is attached. The side release has 
  also been redesigned and is a lower profile
- Side port cover has been redesigned (port where GPS attaches)
- Redesigned CF card door
- New heavy duty right angle firewire cable
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: eronald on May 12, 2014, 08:23:16 pm
Here are a few items to start….


Paul,

 Thank you for taking the time to provide an informative reply.

Edmund
Title: Re: Hasselblad H5D40 promo
Post by: orc73 on May 15, 2014, 04:23:06 pm
@captureintegration:There are actually some errors in this text including wrong information. H5d does not make h4d having jpeg and h4d-40 does not have excellent image quality @iso50.