Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Ellis Vener on May 06, 2014, 11:11:19 am

Title: pixel Bender? what does/did it do? trying to find out if I should be interested
Post by: Ellis Vener on May 06, 2014, 11:11:19 am
I am asking as i got a link about a pixel bender accelerator  and I really don't have a clue as to what pixel bender does and so can't evaluate whether it would be worth my time learning how to use it.
Title: Re: pixel Bender? what does/did it do? trying to find out if I should be interested
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on May 06, 2014, 11:30:45 am
I am asking as i got a link about a pixel bender accelerator  and I really don't have a clue as to what pixel bender does and so can't evaluate whether it would be worth my time learning how to use it.

Hi Ellis,

It's obsolete technology (https://www.adobe.com/devnet/pixelbender.html), and not compatible with recent software.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: pixel Bender? what does/did it do? trying to find out if I should be interested
Post by: Jim Kasson on May 06, 2014, 11:55:18 am
I am asking as i got a link about a pixel bender accelerator  and I really don't have a clue as to what pixel bender does and so can't evaluate whether it would be worth my time learning how to use it.

It's not an accelerator, but a software development kit for writing image processing algorithms. And, like Bart said, it's not supported on the newer releases.

I looked at it a couple of years ago, and bit the bullet and went with Matlab. There are free image processing SDKs for Python and other languages, and there's a free Matlabish program called Octave (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Octave_Programming_Tutorial).
Title: Re: pixel Bender? what does/did it do? trying to find out if I should be interested
Post by: sniper on May 07, 2014, 06:44:41 pm
I had a play when it was about, but wasn't impressed, it did a half decent oil painting sort of effect, but that was about all I could get that was usefull for me.  I wouldn't bother again myself.