Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: JerryReed on May 02, 2014, 07:16:44 am

Title: Gallery Presentation
Post by: JerryReed on May 02, 2014, 07:16:44 am
I am considering purchasing an alternative to the standard cutter head for my Speed-Mat cutter that is designed to cut 8-ply mattes. It cost just a bit less than $500. So, my question is, does anyone who is showing their work in galleries think that it is desirable/preferable to show 8-ply mattes, versus 4-ply? Or, even double matting with two 4-ply mattes? I would like some experienced exhibitors to weigh in. The speed mat is shown below.
Title: Re: Gallery Presentation
Post by: Paul2660 on May 02, 2014, 08:00:05 am
Yes. I love the look of the 8 ply and use it often. I don't know about the device in question. Hand cutting a 8 ply is very hard to do and get the corners correct. I have a local frame shop with an eclipse mat cutter that will cut for me at a nominal fee. 

I use the 8 ply mainly with float mounts where I float both the print and mat to really give depth to the mount and on black and white prints.

Paul
Title: Re: Gallery Presentation
Post by: Chris Barrett on May 02, 2014, 08:16:18 am
8 ply looks so much more serious, especially for large prints.  4 ply looks kinda flimsy to me in a frame.