Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Transposure on May 01, 2014, 09:51:30 pm

Title: RZ67 Manual Focus Aid for Speed
Post by: Transposure on May 01, 2014, 09:51:30 pm
Title: Re: RZ67 Manual Focus Aid for Speed
Post by: Ray R on May 02, 2014, 11:06:58 am
I use an RB67 with a P45 and have to say focusing has always been a problem with it for me.
I have tried to use a prism finder with magnifier, which makes it heavy and awkward to use hand held.
I have used the chimney without much success and I am back with the waist level finder, and have come to the conclusion that it needs a lot of practice.

The main thing is distinguishing between it being in focus and being almost in focus.

Sorry that it's not much help.
Title: Re: RZ67 Manual Focus Aid for Speed
Post by: Sheldon N on May 02, 2014, 12:19:48 pm
Having shot with both the 1DX and RZ67 II w/MFDB, I would say that you've set yourself a lofty goal.

With the RZ67 shot wide open, I found it was easy to see focus misses of just inches, even at a subject distance of 10 feet. The glass is wonderfully sharp with a great rendition, but I found it took a high degree of precision for focusing. I ended up using a 6x loupe directly on the focus screen through the waist level finder, but obviously this won't work for your purposes.

I'd look at getting the best possible focusing screen (maybe a brightscreen or a maxwell?), perhaps adding a flip up finder magnifier to your prism, and practicing a lot. That, and learning to be okay with a lot more focus misses. :)

Title: Re: RZ67 Manual Focus Aid for Speed
Post by: jerome_m on May 02, 2014, 12:26:59 pm
As an aside, I remember talking to an employee at B&H Photo a while back and he told me he loved using his RZ67 and could focus on the fly effortlessly.  I was intrigued, in a bit of disbelief, and yet wanted to know his secret.

The secret is not to look at what you want in focus and turn the focus knob until it is acceptably sharp, but to turn the knob, observe how the plane of focus is moving across the image and place it where you want. Or pre-focus and follow the subject.

Still: on 6x7 and f/2.8, that is going to be hard.
Title: Re: RZ67 Manual Focus Aid for Speed
Post by: Steve Hendrix on May 02, 2014, 03:21:34 pm
he loved using his RZ67 and could focus on the fly effortlessly.  I was intrigued, in a bit of disbelief, and yet wanted to know his secret.

So, please share techniques or advice!

Thanks!
Ken


Love that. Sounds like one of those western fables - "He could shoot blind folded holding the pistol upside down while lighting his corncob pipe and dancing the 2 step, and nail a rabbit a mile down the road".

There are only 2 possible answers to his "secret":

1) Film
2) He wants you in his fan club

My advice? Do it a lot.

And by saying "Do it a lot", I'm not trying to be cheeky, I just mean that with all the cameras we have at our disposal, there are variances in how easily we can produce accurately focused results. What certainly helps is to shoot a lot with a camera - especially one that is a challenge to focus. Often there is compensatory information you gain in how to adjust or compensate for those challenging cameras the more you use them. It can sometimes take a while to get a handle on that. Different focusing screens can have an impact as well - I'm sure some guys will chime in on that, as I've only used the standard gg.


Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Title: Re: RZ67 Manual Focus Aid for Speed
Post by: Alan Klein on May 02, 2014, 06:38:16 pm
Which lens are you using?  Distance to subject?  Wouldn't stopping down a bit to get more DOF resolve your problem?