Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Chris Calohan on April 28, 2014, 10:37:33 am

Title: Flight of the Snowy Egret
Post by: Chris Calohan on April 28, 2014, 10:37:33 am
I want to fly like an egret
 To the sea
Fly like an egret
 Let my spirit carry me
Title: Re: Flight of the Snowy Egret
Post by: walter.sk on April 28, 2014, 12:06:35 pm
You really captured the graceful qualities of the egret!  I would be tempted to do a little dodging and burning or increasing contrast, or both, to emphasize the beautiful play of light on the bird.
Title: Re: Flight of the Snowy Egret
Post by: Les Sparks on April 28, 2014, 12:11:15 pm
Really nice. Captures the bird's grace and elegance.
Title: Re: Flight of the Snowy Egret
Post by: wolfnowl on April 29, 2014, 02:00:48 am
You really captured the graceful qualities of the egret!  I would be tempted to do a little dodging and burning or increasing contrast, or both, to emphasize the beautiful play of light on the bird.

Yes, but a fine shot as it is.

Mike.
Title: Re: Flight of the Snowy Egret
Post by: Hayhill on April 30, 2014, 05:29:00 pm
Great shot, but are you sure that is a SNOWY egret? I believe that the snowy egret has yellow feet and a black bill, whereas the great egret is the opposite.
Title: Re: Flight of the Snowy Egret
Post by: Chris Calohan on April 30, 2014, 08:52:40 pm
Great shot, but are you sure that is a SNOWY egret? I believe that the snowy egret has yellow feet and a black bill, whereas the great egret is the opposite.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:DRbirds_Snowy_Egret.JPG
Title: Re: Flight of the Snowy Egret
Post by: framah on May 01, 2014, 09:59:53 am
As the image is in B/W, we can never know for sure no matter how many references you provide as the two birds look quite similar EXCEPT for the color differences.

Do you have any images of THIS bird in COLOR?
Title: Re: Flight of the Snowy Egret
Post by: Chris Calohan on May 01, 2014, 12:50:32 pm
As the image is in B/W, we can never know for sure no matter how many references you provide as the two birds look quite similar EXCEPT for the color differences.

Do you have any images of THIS bird in COLOR?

I do and I have to stand corrected even though I cannot see the color of the feet in this shot, the beak is the giveaway. There were Great Whites, Snowy's, Great Blues and Tricolors flying in and about the area...I know when I made this shot, not three or four seconds prior I was shooting Snowy's....
Title: Re: Flight of the Snowy Egret
Post by: framah on May 01, 2014, 05:09:18 pm
Oh, to be so lucky to have all of those birds all around you as you shoot!!!
Thanks for clearing it up.

I actually prefer it in color.